Infrastructure Engineer (SRE) - Data Platform II at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
More About the Role
The Data Infrastructure team is responsible for the design, implementation & growth of the primary data analytics platform, including core libraries and infrastructure applications within Grubhub. These tools play a critical part in the long term success of the organization by building scalable systems to allow data to be processed & analyzed in a fast and effective manner for all areas of the company.
As a Senior Infrastructure Engineer (SRE) you will be responsible for playing a pivotal role in adding and refining the tools and systems within our environment. Your expertise will allow us to improve the available tools, identify new technologies and help grow the speed of delivery for users within the data platform.
The Impact You Will Make
- Understand the business! Work directly with application developers, data engineers and data analysts to address their needs.
- Build streaming applications.
- Be a stakeholder for our data platform tools! Help guide and prioritize development of the tooling to enhance our capabilities.
- Help build a multi-datacenter, performant and highly available data platform and the frameworks to support it.
- Help build and support frameworks to interact with various cloud technologies.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, the development of best practices, and new technologies. We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute
- Help train software developers and other technologists on using the data platform, software stack (e.g. Kafka, Presto, Spark) to build their product-specific applications.
- Relentlessly analyze and improve the performance of our systems.
- Python / Java / Scala
- Linux (Ubuntu & Amazon Linux)
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field.
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable applications.
- 1-2 years of experience with Streaming technologies (Kafka, Beam, Flink, Spark).
- Solid programming skills in Python
- Data querying capabilities using SQL
- Ability to explain technical concepts in simple terms to business stakeholders
Got These? Even Better
- Experience designing and implementing multi-region streaming and data applications.
- Experience deploying data pipelines in a production environment
- Experience with distributed data and computing tools like Spark, Kafka and PrestoSQL
- Experience programming in Java or Scala
- Experience using cloud infrastructure like AWS
- A knack for analyzing and improving processes using data
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.