Senior Applied Data Scientist, Commercial
About the Company
Are you interested in using data science to solve new and challenging problems in innovative ways — like helping a green energy startup find new areas of growth, building a resource optimization solution for a healthcare provider network, or shaping the product and engagement strategy for a large Fortune 500 company? Civis Analytics is looking for a Senior Applied Data Scientist to join our commercial ADS practice in Chicago and help us solve some of the most challenging and interesting questions facing businesses today.
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a bold advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of elite proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the solutions and advisory arm of Civis Analytics, and works closely with organizations to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. This role of Senior ADS will support clients in our commercial verticals specifically, and report to an ADS Manager.
Civis has opportunities for applicants who are seasoned professionals, brilliant newcomers, or anywhere in between — offering competitive compensation and benefits packages. We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds, with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We especially value self-starters, quick learners, and those with the ability to work well in small teams.
- A Senior ADS runs the end-to-end execution of client engagements utilizing data science, which includes:
- Handling client relationships and communication on day-to-day projects and initiatives, with stakeholders of varying technical experience or familiarity with methods
- Leading and structuring project research design, including statistical and data management methods, and working with cross-functional teams of data scientists and software engineers where necessary to create and implement solutions
- Managing the unification of large 1st- and 3rd-party datasets and building predictive models
- Translating findings into clear, actionable, and timely insights with the appropriate business context
- Other job responsibilities of a Senior ADS include:
- Creatively identifying opportunities in the solution delivery process for scalable applications, and collaborating with other teams to further construct these tools
- Assisting ADS Managers in new business development by scoping projects, writing proposals, and building case studies and other collateral
- Maintaining a continuous and independent education of cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Teaching and mentoring more junior Applied Data Scientists
- Travel requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, engineering, business, political or social science, computer science, etc.)
- 2+ years of work or post-graduate experience in a field of analytical science
- Experience working in a consulting or advisory function a plus
- Shown affinity for and experience working with large or messy data sets
- SQL experience a plus
- Proficiency with statistical programming languages (R, Python, etc.) and proven ability to work pragmatically with statistical concepts
- Proficiency with presentation or data visualization software, such as Microsoft PPT, Tableau, Shiny, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience framing and communicating analytical results to stakeholders at a variety of levels
- Experience mentoring more junior members of a team
- Practical understanding of and experience with predictive analytics, machine learning, and/or causal inference
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)