Senior Applied Data Scientist, Government at Civis Analytics
About the Company
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) Team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with governments, companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. They are critical components of the project team and are expected to take leadership in understanding how to design and implement data science solutions for each client’s unique situation. This position will be part of the Applied Data Science Public Sector team, which most commonly works with state and local governments, federal agencies, and public utilities.
As a Senior Applied Data Scientist, you will structure hard problems, analyze large data sets, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, create client materials, and ensure on-time progress and delivery of our projects. You will also work hand in hand with our Applied Data Science Lead and Director of Public Sector Analytics to develop relationships, partnerships, and proposals for new governmental work.
- Work with colleagues to structure complex client problems to be solved using imperfect data
- Enhance, finds patterns in, and builds predictive models on large data sets
- Work with other Applied Data Scientists, as well as other departments within Civis to derive clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to create presentations that are client-ready, clear, and error-free
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to develop business opportunities, proposals, and pitches for new work throughout the public sector market
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (political science, statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience
- Proven affinity for and experience with working with large data sets
- Proven affinity for and experience with SQL, and either R or Python
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience working with presentation software, such as Tableau and MS PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Demonstrated ability to complete work on time
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- MA or MS in an analytical subject
- Experience leading projects, including managing the work of colleagues
- Proven affinity for and experience mentoring teammates