Senior Data Scientist - Loss Modeling
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
Arity Data Science & Analytics combines technical knowledge in fields such as mathematics, computer programming, and data engineering with business expertise. Our team uses data to make decisions about real problems, from building predictive models to developing new machine learning techniques. We’re passionate about learning new disciplines and skills to deliver top-notch analytics products. Armed with billions of miles of driving data, we constantly challenge ourselves to seek out opportunities for new products and ways to make our existing offerings better. Our purpose is to extract meaning from data to make Arity’s vision of safer, smarter, and more useful transportation a reality.
Data scientists at Arity use data to make decisions, working closely with data engineers, developers, and product managers. As part of a product team, you’ll develop new predictive models, code and develop tools to make business decisions, integrate external and internal data to improve our modeling results, and more. You appreciate the difference between fitting and implementing statistical models, the importance of good metrics, and the significance of large-volume, high-quality data. You can perceive common structure between superficially unrelated problems and can use this to build tools, algorithms, and products of high value. Success in this role depends on your ability to manage complex projects and adapt quickly to the needs of the business.
• Prepare and perform analyses, including data acquisition, data cleansing and transformation, model validation, implementation, documentation, and clearly communicates results
• Degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance or related discipline
• Experience using statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques to build models that have driven company decision making
• Experience building and evaluating Generalized Linear Models (GLMs)
• Experience managing and manipulating large, complex datasets
• Experience performing exploratory data analysis
• Experience working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
• Ability to write queries in SQL
• Ability to code and manipulate data in a language such as Python, Perl, Java, C
• Knowledge of advanced modeling techniques
• Ability to analyze and interpret moderate to complex concepts
• Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data and to present this data to others with varying levels of expertise
• Demonstrated analytic agility
• Demonstrated ability to communicate across multiple levels of leadership
Good to have:
• Actuarial background, pricing, or loss modeling experience
• Experience in the insurance industry; an understanding of the insurance marketplace, economic atmosphere, and regulatory environment
• Experience working with statistical methods other than GLMs
• Experience working with insurance loss and exposure data
• Master’s or PhD in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance, or economics
• Experience working with mobile sensor data
• Experience working through end to end life cycle from data acquisition, model building through to deploying, monitoring and revising models in a production setting
• Experience working with big data, NOSQL, or PySpark
• Strong programming background
Heads up: when you click “apply now” you’ll be directed to the Allstate careers site. You’re still looking at an Arity job, but because we were founded by Allstate, we share the same application system.