Senior Data Scientist, Quantitative Research
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
Grubhub is looking for a bright, curious and energetic data scientist to join the data nerds on the Quantitative Research Team at GrubHub. We have lots of interesting data which we continuously mine for insights and leverage to drive decisions. In this role, you’ll engineer, analyze and model data to inform experimentation across the organization. If you've got a penchant for stats and a hunger (pun intended!) for solving hard problems, read on.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Conceive of and develop methods to massively scale experimentation across the organization (traffic shaping, interaction effects, early stopping criteria, multi-armed bandit algorithms, etc.)
- Research and develop predictive algorithms which drive metrics/measurement for our tests
- Mine extensive experiment data for unidentified insights about our customers
- Develop one-off experiments for large company initiatives and design the statistical analysis of the results
You Should Have
- Statistics/probability- Strong understanding of statistics (e.g., Bayesian, Frequentist, etc.); extensive experience with running statistical analyses using a variety of methods to drive decisions
- Experiment design - Deep understanding of experiment design: control vs variations, factorial experiment design, multivariate experiments, simple random sampling vs stratified, etc.
- SQL/programming experience - You don't need to be a SQL expert (we have plenty) but you do need to be able to do select, where, group, inner join; experience using Python, R, or some other programming language for data analysis
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it. You might even make our achievements board!
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The methods we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business deeply, and to be able to explain your approach and its business sense
- Autonomy - You will have an enormous amount of latitude to research and develop new techniques and algorithms to increase effectiveness of our experimentation systems and reduce risk. You should be able to use it wisely
- 5-7 years of experience using the above skills
- MS in quantitative discipline (statistics, operations research, econometrics, etc) or equivalent experience
- Risk analysis modeling and projections
- Experience with PyMC, BUGS, STAN, etc.
- Informal understanding of data structures and computational complexity
- You know how to sell an idea to a large group of people. Internal PR is important
- Blog/portfolio/github links
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here:DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.