Senior Data Scientist at Quantium
Since 2002, Quantium have combined the best of human and artificial intelligence to power possibilities for individuals, organizations and society. Whether it be building forecasting engines that are driving down food wastage or creating tools to support campaigns that combat human trafficking, Quantium believes in better goods, services, experiences, and championing the benefits of data science and AI for a brighter future.
Are you tired of spending all your time data cleaning or churning out standard reports? Or are you working on data science problems but worried that your solutions may never be productionized? Perhaps you've just been thinking that there must be a new and exciting way for you to apply your technical skills to make a big and positive impact. If you are keen to accelerate your career in data science and start working on unsolved, intellectually challenging business problems, then look no further.
What will I be doing as a senior data scientist at Quantium?
Many things! Your role will likely change and grow as we continue to grow, and we wouldn't want you to feel pigeon-holed either. As a quick overview for now - you will be working in a team to develop end-to-end data science solutions for our clients, deploying complex models and decision-making engines into their everyday business processes. You will also bring your strong technical, commercial and client facing capabilities to play a leadership role with both clients and junior team members.
Can you tell me more about the current projects and client?
The current opportunity is working with a very large North American retailer with some of the biggest datasets in the industry. Our projects have included optimization of marketing and personalization, inventory forecasting, complex pricing, range / assortment and more.
What tools will I be using?
Keeping in mind that we always ensure the tools we are using are fit for purpose, for our current projects, we are typically using Spark / Scala or Teradata for data preparation and Spark / Scala, R and Python for advanced analytics.
Why should I be excited about this opportunity?
With our Americas team being established a little over two and a half years ago, this is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, high growth environment where each person can contribute in their own unique way and have a big impact on the success of the team, whilst knowing that you have global capability (proven products and solutions built over 17 years!) to back you.
What is the team culture like?
We are a team of diverse and fun data scientists, consultants and sales professionals working in an environment where colleagues quickly become friends. Working in small, cross-functional project teams, you will have lots of opportunity to learn from senior leaders and share your learning with the team too. When we are not working on tough, technical problems, you might find us winding down with a drink in hand in one of our coworking offices (currently based in Bentonville, San Francisco and Chicago).
You've mentioned consulting work. Tell me more about the travel requirements.
Our team is committed to growing trusted relationships with our clients, as such, you will be traveling for up to 80% of your time to work onsite at client offices with our current opportunity in Bentonville, Arkansas. And for those who want to make the most of the outdoor activities, growing arts scene and fresh cuisine that Bentonville has to offer, we can also provide support for relocation.
OK, this is all sounding great. But do you have a bullet point list so I can see if I meet the requirements of this opportunity?
We know people are not bullet points but here we go:
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in a highly technical analytics environment, carrying out data analytics and building predictive models with large, complex datasets; retail industry experience will be highly regarded
- Experience in designing technical solutions is desirable
- Experience in one of R, Python, Spark / Scala, with the ability and desire to pick up new languages and techniques
- Strong consulting and project management skills are desirable
- People leadership experience will be highly regarded
- Experience with using one or more of the following in a commercial environment is desirable: GBM/XG Boost, GLM (logistic regression), Clustering, Neural nets/deep Learning /deep nets, Multivariate regression
- Ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- A degree in a quantitative discipline e.g. actuarial studies, mathematics / statistics, engineering, computer science etc
What else can I look forward to?
- Flights, accommodation and a food allowance for work travel
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage
- Flexible spending account
- Commuter tax benefit (in Chicago)
- Retirement 401(k) plan with 6% employer contribution
- Annual bonus scheme
- Annual company overnight trip and plenty of other team events
Quantium are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We are a multicultural team of various beliefs, sexual orientations and gender identities. We celebrate our diversity of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and disability status.