Software Engineer - Machine Learning
SPINS, a Chicago-based SaaS company, is seeking a Machine Learning Software Engineer.
By leveraging SPINS’ industry-leading proprietary data and analytics, our technology enables deeper, more engaged relationships between Retailers, Brands and Consumers through our platform, web, and mobile products.
WHO ARE WE?
- We eat collaboration and curiosity for breakfast
- We communicate quickly and succinctly
- We believe in roles instead of jobs
- We take initiative independently and hurdle challenges together
- We discuss, debate, decide and do with the same rapidity as we iterate our platform
- We are a talent ecosystem whose health is predicated on each individual’s ability to support every other individual’s success
WHO ARE YOU?
- Someone energetic, empathic and earnest
- Someone who wakes each morning thinking of which opportunity they will grab today
- Someone that refuses to give up when the path isn’t paved
- Someone that consistently delivers quality work on schedule
- Someone who would rather build the right tool to do the job than wait until they’re handed one
- A creative thinker as adept at looking at the Big Picture as they are at the details
- An obsessive perfectionist that knows when to put down the paintbrush and ship
- The kind of person that can expertly use an Onion headline as an analogy in a serious strategy meeting
WHAT DO WE NEED?
SPINS is looking for a motivated, detail-oriented and energetic Software Engineer - Machine Learning who will play a key role in the design and development of a product suite focused on making us best in class for the complex data analysis and highly targeted, context sensitive data for our CPG customers. The right candidate is an out-of-the-box creative thinker and problem-solver, who can partner with the business and product management to create solutions. Ambition and pure tech skills are the key traits that will help you thrive as the newest addition to our team.
This role will report to the Engineering Manager and will be located in the SPINS headquarters in the River North neighborhood of Chicago.
WE'LL BE COUNTING ON YOU FOR...
You'll be working as part of a dynamic team developing software using cutting-edge frameworks and agile methods, designing innovative web applications to meet business needs. You'll collaborate with UX designers to develop best-in-class user experience in applications and you'll develop and maintain web applications associated with SPINS product offerings. You'll be responsible for developing and managing databases that support web services, web applications, and portals used by SPINS partners and clients, as well as create documentation to support new product and feature launches as needed. In addition, you'll develop highly scalable classifiers and tools leveraging machine learning, data regression and rules-based models. You'll suggest, collect and synthesize requirements and create effective feature roadmaps. You'll code deliverables in tandem with the engineering team and adapt standard machine learning methods to best exploit modern parallel environments (i.e., distributed clusters).
YOU PROBABLY HAVE...
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience working with large data sets (data mining, data analytics, data manipulation and reporting)
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: machine learning, recommendation systems, pattern recognition, data mining or artificial intelligence
- Proven ability to translate insights into business recommendations
- Experience building and using web service API’s and implementations
- Experience using MYSQL or other relational database (ORM/Hibernate a plus)
- Deployment experience with Linux (command line, scripting, administration), Unix, Apache Tomcat, Docker
- Experience working in an iterative, agile software lifecycle with strong ability to estimate/scope the development of projects
- Aware of software development best practices and associated tools (Ant, Maven, GIT, JUnit etc.)
- Adept at learning new technologies and business functions
- Strong problem solving skills, analytical abilities and proven design skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a sense of ownership and drive to get things done.