Sr. Data Scientist (Marketing Machine Learning)
Got a taste for something new?
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 85,000 restaurants and over 15.6 million active diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
The Marketing Data Science Team is looking for a team player to help build out the next generation paid search platform. The scope of projects range from, backend operational needs to keyword bidding. This is an exciting opportunity to influence the allocation of a massive budget across millions of keywords and ads, helping sustain Grubhub’s blazing growth!
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- You will be a part of the data science teams that develops models and triggered marketing programs that deliver relevant offers to our hungry diners. The systems you’ll build will affect grubhub.com and offsite experience (email, push notifications, display and social ads).
- Build out processes, big data stores, and reporting functions to support day to day business needs
- We believe in personalization - finding the most relevant restaurant, dish, and offer for each of our diners, across a diverse set of options. This means solving complex, large-scale problems using Spark and Python. You and your team will build models that will meaningfully affect our marketing spend, and impact millions of our customers.
- Diner Retention area is just getting started: your work will be able to move the needle for the whole company.
- Explore diverse data sets of large volumes to develop models which help drive complex, real time data driven products with real world impact.
- Using sound scientific principles in analysis, model training, testing and validation of the data models to create precise, high performing and reliable models to be used in our marketing.
- Using software principles to write functional, scalable, tested and clean deployable code, during the implementation stage of algorithms.
- Mentor the Agile team of data scientists. Help solve challenging problems with problem formulation, coding, debugging, and planning of future iterations.
- Collaborate and work closely with Engineering, Product and Design to create high quality reliable, consumer-facing products.
- Collect data for bid model development
- Design experiments, measure performance, and report results to technical and non-technical stakeholders
You Should Have
- 5+ years of applicable work experience in data science
- Bachelor’s in computer science, applied math, electrical engineering, or a related field (Master’s Degree or PhD in Quantitative Field is highly preferred)
- Hands-on software engineering skills: testing, code reviews, automation, scaling production systems. Our team pushes very hard to scale through automation. Advanced Python and Spark Skills are essential to perform your daily tasks.
- Hands-on experience developing, debugging, improving models in Python and Spark & the ability to execute in an Agile environment
- Strong data engineering skills - schema design and ability to build and monitor ETL processes
- Hands-on experience with the following platforms/tools - Spark, Redshift / Postgres, AWS, Linux, Hive / Presto, Git
- Machine learning - experience with metric design, categorical and numeric prediction models
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The algorithms we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business very deeply, and to be able to explain your approach to a wide variety of both technical and non-technical stakeholders and take input from them where appropriate.
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it.
Got These? Even Better:
- Paid search - a knowledge of SEM (Adwords, BingAds), APIs, and how to apply Machine Learning to it
- Marketing attribution model development
- Lifetime value modeling
- Data visualization - ability to present results clearly to technical and non-technical stakeholders
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
- Finally, work with an awesome team that loves its work and also loves to have a great time!
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.