VP of Data Platform at Guaranteed Rate
We are looking for an experienced technology leader to work with multiple engineering teams in a self-organizing technology culture in order to drive change throughout mortgage industry!
The Financial technology space "Fintech" is booming and Guaranteed Rate is at the center of it. We are growing like crazy and are one of the most successful Chicago startups. We are focused on automating the mortgage process for consumers. Imagine getting a mortgage with no email, no faxing, no stack of papers in 10 days or less instead of 40 or more! If you have been through the process of buying a home you know how amazing this will be. We are the #5 lender in the country and one of only 2 that is independent (not a bank) so we are in a good spot to win this race. We have already made tremendous strides and we are looking for someone who wants to help us finish the job and disrupt the entire industry.
Who is GR?
Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We are technology driven, have tons of energy and we love what we do – great people and great products alongside our impeccable customer service (83 NPS, unheard of!). We’re in a River North office with exposed brick and duct work, windows we can actually open during the summer. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
- Holiday parties? We got’em! Not just major holidays, any holiday….Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day (for our Canadian employee), Sweetest Day, Groundhog Day, etc..
- Game room, library and white board paint for collaboration – yeah, it’s awesome.
- Access to our free GR nurse practitioner. Psshh who needs a doctor’s appointment when our nurse can do it all? Did we mention the free part?
- 401k with some matching, Blue Cross health care coverage – yup, dental and vision too, short-term disability, life insurance – we got ya covered on this one, legal assistance – for a small monthly fee.
- Oh and did we mention you get a big fat employee discount on the origination fees to get a new mortgage or refinance thru Guaranteed Rate?
So what do we want from you?
The VP of Data Platform is responsible for the overall leadership and ownership of the data architecture vision, standards, and development within the enterprise. You will create Enterprise and Business Specific data strategies, architectures and data flows (ETL) as well as engage in strategic initiatives. As our Subject Matter Expert in Data Quality, Data Governance, and Metadata Management, you will set direction, strategy and development within the teams that you manage.
- Leading the development of the enterprise data architecture strategy, including database design and structure, data integrity and database tools to deliver top-notch data management to the enterprise.
- Overseeing the development and use of enterprise-wide information architecture standards for data definitions, data management, warehouse design and development, and ensure the organization's compliance to these standards.
- Developing, administering, maintaining, and implementing policies and procedures for ensuring the security, quality and integrity, and availability of the company's data.
- Leading the architecture and development of a data lake and warehouse strategy to provide consistent, clean and integrated data.
- Leading the migration to new data technologies for unstructured, streaming and high-volume data.
- Championing, instituting and leveraging Big Data analytics capabilities for the organization.
- Establishing, communicating and leading the adoption of data standards and best
- Communicating charters/visions so that all team members are clear on their goals
- Coaching and empowering team leads to act as leaders on their teams.
- Communicating the technical vision, system architecture, design, and alignment.
- Defining the standards and guardrails for the team. Ensuring that engineers are following defined and healthy process
- Ensuring teams and channels are staffed appropriately
- Ensuring that team members are always learning, growing, and have a clear roadmap on career progression through recognition, feedback, challenge and compensation.
- Acting as a source of escalation for issues within a team or channel
- Ensure a culture where people are having fun as they make significant impacts on our business
- Coaching, mentoring and training your team.
- Creates and communicates the organization’s vision, strategy, goals, standards and guardrails.
- Ensures organizational structure, career path and roles are clear and effective.
- Servant leader who consistently demonstrates and inspires his or her team(s) to live GR’s core values, take action and deliver results.
- Helps to create organizational goals and holds self and others accountable to achieve them.
- Accountable and responsible for putting the organization in position to consistently, predictably and sustainably succeed.
- Direct reports can be people managers, team leads, etc
- Provide guidance, instruction and oversight at the team and organizational level
- Span of control, influence, responsibility and accountability is at the multi-team and organizational level.