EMR Instructional Designer
VillageMD is changing the trajectory of healthcare by empowering primary care physicians to make informed decisions and engage patients in meaningful ways. We work with thousands of clinicians and healthcare disruptors across the country to build and contribute to our platform to improve patient health while driving down the cost to deliver it.
We are a mission-oriented organization and are thrilled about the work that we do every day. We’re transparent, collaborative, and relentless in pursuit of our mission, all while doing so with humility and a low ego. We believe that diverse backgrounds and experiences create the best opportunity for innovation and the community that we are creating is greater than any individual.
Technology Instructional Designers at VillageMD own our end users’ success in leveraging technology to drive outcomes. With a focus on clinicians and other care providers within the Village Medical clinic brand of high-quality primary care, IDs ensure an outstanding digital experience using proprietary technology and most heavily our chosen EMR vendor, athenahealth.
What are examples of work that Technology Instructional Designers do at VillageMD?
- Support assigned clinicians and staff with technology training needs by creating and delivering instructor-led courses, e-learning lessons, and written materials.
- Provide one-to-one training and system support as requested by end users and/or in response to help desk tickets.
- Work with operational owners and leaders to regularly assess training needs, devise new solutions to training issues and provide support as needed for new content and application go-lives.
- Mentor newer and less-experienced staff in training best practices.
- Provide project scoping, management, and leadership for training-related projects.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to Technology leadership on technology education and adult learning best practices, and consult with other teams as needed on educational planning and direction-setting.
What will make you successful here?
- A bias for action and an understanding of how implement process to gain speed while appropriately mitigating project risk
- Strong analytical and technical skills/aptitude
- Think clearly, communicate concisely, and collaborate always.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, find peace in chaos, and absorb information quickly to create a plan.
- Excellent ability to craft and implement requirements, keep projects on track, and engage stakeholders (internal and external)
- Challenging the status quo to improve our processes and tools
- Communicate complex technical details in meaningful business context
- A low ego; an ability to gain trust by doing what you say you will do
What you might do in your first year:
- Design, maintain and deliver instructor-led training for assigned departments and audiences.
- Design, maintains and deliver e-learning lessons, printed materials, videos and other deliverables for assigned departments and audiences.
- Cross-train and provides backup instructor coverage for related application training classes.
- Adhere to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Respond to ad-hoc requests for training deliverable development
- Incorporate adult learning principles and instructional design best practices into training delivery.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of e-learning scripts and lessons for EMR applications as needed.
- Coordinate activities of assigned projects or particular phases of a given project.
- Develop and create detailed work plans, timelines and other appropriate documentation, identify appropriate resources needed and provides timely status reports.
- Complete project scoping, planning and management for technology training team projects.
- Serve as an EMR and adult-education subject matter expert to all teams within the Technology teams and across the organization.
- Perform job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, building trust, and getting stuff done, to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 3+ years of full-time experience leading projects in software training
- 1+ year experience in the EMR space
- Provider training or program design experience is a plus
- Track record of successfully executing projects with multiple dependencies and stakeholders
- Experience training providers in the use of Athena EMR or other larger EMRs is a plus.
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.