OppLoans is a rapidly growing Fintech company that helps credit-challenged consumers build a better financial path through accessible products and five-star customer service. As one of Chicago’s fastest-growing startups, we’ve made the Crain’s Business Chicago Fast 50 (#4 in 2019) and the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 (twice), and we’ve ranked in the top 10% of the Inc. 500 four years in a row!
OppLoans is a team of caring and inventive “Opptimists” with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. OppLoans employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every morning and know they are a part of something great. That’s why we prize collaboration, collegiality, and letting the best ideas win the day.What you get to do:
We are looking for a creative, experienced, and passionate Instructional Designer! Through adult learning theory, instructional design methods to build new learning solutions, and tailored content for the learner audience - you will help shape what a great learning experience looks like for OppLoans!
Reporting to the Senior Director of Training and Development the Instructional Designer plays a crucial role in the creation, development, and editing of content for learning experiences that close the gaps in skills and information of a targeted audience within OppLoans. You will focus on how the training is developed including the look, feel, organization, and functionality. You are expected to create and edit courses, workshops, and curriculum material for various OppLoan departments.
- Combine and write course content based on input from SMEs, existing training material, and other documents
- Draft and create screen layouts, graphics, animations, and interactions appropriate to the content
- Write the audio script, import video, and audio files (when applicable).
- Help with the development and editing of instructional materials such as lesson plans, simulation exercises/course interactions, guides, and assessments
- Promote collaboration among the participants in a design project
- Perform needs analysis when a training request is submitted
- Develop new training courses, workshops, and curriculum
- Validate and write accurate training documentation
- Plan and execute instructional design projects
- Evaluate and assess instructional content and its impact
- Write learning objectives and instructional content
- Work with subject matter experts to define/create instructional content
- Justify design decisions with learning science
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- BA in instructional design, HR, or educational technology preferred; equivalent work experience in instructional design, content creation (creating and editing videos for e-learning platforms), and adult learning
- Experience instructional design and instructional technology
- Knowledge and application of adult learning principles
- Experience using or managing an LMS is strongly preferred
- Experience working with content and designing training for multiple methods of delivery
- Ability to storyboard, write effective copy, instructional text, audio, and video scripts
OppLoans is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New hire “Opptimists” go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our onboarding team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the Mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppLoans plays a part in that.
- Define your Goals (months 1-3): You will be able to understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your Belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppLoans’ culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Employee-led communities and programs, like our wellness program Project Opptimism, are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your Journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.
OppLoans offers a 401(k) matching program and paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, including a free PPO medical option with BCBS for Employee-Only Plans, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness, you receive a free gym membership at One Two Pru and a corporate discount on ClassPass packages. To get you to and from work, you can participate in our pre-tax commuter benefits program with CTA and Metra, park your bike in the One Two Pru bike storage room, and take advantage of discounted Divvy memberships. Dresscode is casual. Lunch is subsidized through Fooda and Sweetgreen, and healthy snacks and drinks are available all day at the office.
Our office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with panoramic views of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan with rooftop access.
We do not discriminate based on identity - race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged/sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
OppLoans is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, OppLoans will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at [email protected].