What We Do
Uptake helps industrial companies digitally transform with open, purpose-built software that delivers outcomes that matter. Built on a foundation of data science and machine learning, our vision is to create a world that always works — one where the machines and equipment we depend on daily don’t break, and industrial companies are once again the creators of economic growth and opportunity.
What You’ll Do
As an Interaction Designer, you will be responsible for understanding target audience needs, product requirements, and business strategy in order to transform them into high-quality, user-centric interactive products. You will deeply understand content with the intent to create and improve user experiences, user processes and services delivered to the user. You will contribute to building a platform that supports workflows across multiple industry verticals and ensures our users capture the immense value from our solutions. Interaction Designers work collaboratively with User Researchers and Visual Designers, as well as, the strategy, product and technology teams.
- Working through the entire design process using methods like sketching, storyboarding, diagramming, wireframing, and prototyping for screen-based experiences
- Delivering detailed, annotated wireframes and prototypes
- Revising and updating designs based on user and client feedback
- Creating a systematic design language to create cohesive user experiences
- Defining interactions standards for a branded UX platform
- Focusing on consistency of UX patterns across the platform
- Communicating to cross functional teams and advocating for UX best practices
- Discussing and defending design decisions; articulating design rationale
- Making timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, goals, constraints and risks of a project or task
- Managing multiple priorities, working through rapid iterations, and meeting tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Accurately assessing and estimating work
- Being flexible and cool under pressure with the ability to shift as priorities pivot
- Highly motivated and organized
- Naturally curious and willing to share work/findings
- Thorough and detail-oriented
- Articulate and clear in communicating process and decisions
- BA degree in human computer interaction, other relevant degree or equivalent experience
- 4+ years real-world experience working with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated experience working within a user centered design process and transforming user findings to best-in-class user experiences
- Demonstrated command of UX principles of interaction design, especially around workflows, information hierarchy and data visualization
- Experience designing complex systems, web based applications and tools
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
- Experience with Axure, Sketch, and industry standard design tools
- Experience designing interactions for touch and mobile devices
- Knowledge of CSS/HTML
Resume, work samples and/or links to your work
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.