LEAD DESIGNER - IN STORE
The Design Lead is the singular point of contact and creative influence for all design and production of In store signage, on shelf presentation and product display design . This role does not supervise associates but leads a body of work on a single team. He or she will lead conceptual meetings and will collaborate with stylists, photographers and designers to ensure cohesion and new, fresh ways to communicate to our guests. The Design Lead must be aligned with the Senior Design Manager, sharing new ideas and constantly pushing the way our in store graphics look. This role requires lock-step with the Print Design Team to provide a seamless experience to our guest on all channels. The Creative Lead’s role will be stretched with spontaneous and incremental projects which could include brand launches, Salon requests, pop-up events and curated sections in the store. For these assignments the Design Lead will be required to attend kick-offs, obtain clear briefs and execute elevated, unexpected work that satisfies the ask. The Design Lead will lead senior leadership meetings and work with business owners to solve business needs, by asking strong questions and working as a partner, further strengthening relationships between marketing and merchandising.
- Pushes creative to new levels with strong influence and solid design decisions to create new and update existing design within the store environment. Design pieces include signs, lighted fixtures, floor decals, window clings, retail graphics, endcaps, hanging overhead signs and other fixture graphics.
- Provides a unique point of view for Ulta Beauty’s in store presentation. Constantly brings new inspiration with applicable design ideas for our campaigns.
- Art directs photography of internal and external studios
- Re-skins existing collateral or creates new elements to enhance the store experience.
- Clearly articulates and presents design solutions when required.
- Works collaboratively with team members with a friendly and flexible attitude
- Contributes design ideas proactively and does not wait for “the answer” from supervisor.
- Flexible and nimble when it comes to managing changes, layout rework within the design process.
- Collaborates with mag and tab and digital design when needed to ensure a consistent omnichannel brand experience for our guests.
- Creative mentor to existing designers and trains new talent on all aspects of in store design,
Education and Experience
- 4 Year Minimum college degree in Graphic Design or equivalent
- 7 years Graphic Design experience with a passion for the Ulta Beauty brand.
- Retail Design or Shopper Marketing experience a must.
- Strong concepting skills for Large format signage, dimensional product display and
- point of purchase graphics.
- Strong sketching skills to help quickly bring to life innovative display ideas.
- 3D rendering knowledge a plus
- Must have an exceptional eye for beauty and beauty products.
- Constant Innovation on how to display products in retail environments
- Ability to break dense copy with interesting typography, iconography and unexpected design choices while still respecting the offer’s hierarchy
- Ability to take creative criticism and quickly adjust the design to correct
- Offer a unique, modern and sophisticated point of view and is confident in making a recommendation
- Elevated design aesthetic and articulate design choices to Senior Design Manager/ Creative Director.
- Understands the branding and is enthusiastic about the opportunity at hand
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office
- Ability to follow established processes and procedures
- Strong organizational skills, quick execution style
- Ability to communicate adequately orally and in written form
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines on a multitude of concurrent tasks
- Must be discreet with confidential information of which he/she has access
- Forward-think and make decisions with confidence
- Fast, efficient, organized
- Not above production or changing direction at a moment’s notice
- Mature, good sense of humor, ability to maintain composure and work with others
- Work within a team with a positive attitude