Lead Product Designer at Civis Analytics
What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
About the Role
We are currently seeking a Lead Product Designer who will ensure that great design is a primary consideration in our product development and marketing. As a direct report to the VP of Product, you’ll manage a team of designers who work cross-functionally with engineers, data scientists, marketers, and product managers. You’ll be welcomed by coworkers who focus on impacting clients and who will value your ability to shape how we present ourselves through great software interfaces and their overall experience with Civis. Your ability to communicate design across the organization will be key as you and your team accomplish your goals.
As a working manager, you will build user experiences that make complex business tasks intuitive. Those talks will include, but not be limited to: conducting user research, building wireframes and prototypes, and collaborating with engineers and data scientists throughout the development process.
You'll be working on a variety of design challenges and will be critical during early-stage research, ideation, implementation, and iteration. Your team will design for technical users as well as business decision-makers across multiple product areas. At Civis, you will get to help shape the future of big data and work with incredibly smart and passionate people. You’ll drive constant innovation and interactions that make a business impact.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to relocating to one of our offices in the future, but other locations may be negotiable.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, a related subject, or equivalent work experience
- Strong communication skills and a commitment to advocating for the business and user value of design across the company
- 5+ years of professional work experience with 2 years leading a team
- Experience leading and mentoring a team of designers
- Proven track record in setting design standards adopted by a range of products.
- Strong proficiency with design-related software, such as Sketch and Invision
- Experience leading user research activities such as contextual inquiry, usability testing, and rapid prototyping
- Experience partnering with stakeholders to understand larger business objectives, drive design strategy, and quantitatively measure success of UX decisions
- Strong visual concept ideation and storytelling
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment
- Experience working closely and collaboratively with engineers and product managers
- A portfolio of representative work demonstrating the above skills
- Previous experience bringing a new software product to market
- Experience building and managing design systems
- Experience in applying user-centered design to a data heavy software product catered to both technical and non-technical user personas
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW