Who we are
The Academy Group (AG) is a unique enterprise founded to realize the long-term potential of young people from underserved communities across the United States. Designed to tap into the deep wells of often overlooked talent that exists nationwide, the Academy Group empowers youth to thrive in school, work and life.
In 2017 we launched the Chicago Academy, with an enrollment to grow to 1000. We expect to establish Academies in cities across the nation in the years ahead. Academy students develop the agency and belief to excel. They receive high dosage, individualized academic programming from elementary school through college; a case based business curriculum focused on building entrepreneurial, financial and analytic expertise; college and career counseling; rigorous job preparation and internships and; personalized advising and executive mentoring. Students attend their home schools, colleges and universities – with Academy programming occurring after school, on weekends and throughout the summer. The core values of the Academy Group are excellence, determination and justice.
The Academy Group is built on a sustainable business model that aligns the commercial and social sectors. The Academy Group take ownership stakes in a diverse portfolio of commercial companies. The earned revenue generated from the Academy Group Companies funds the education programs, provide apprenticeships for students through college and create employment opportunities to Academy Group graduates.
Ultimately, the Academy Group aims to generate a new class of innovators and leaders by delivering long-term opportunities for exceptional young people to own, operate and create successful companies across multiple sectors.
To further support its mission and operations, The Academy Group seeks a Platform Developer who has an appetite for technical and professional development. The Platform Developer will play an integral role in managing The Academy Group’s SQL database and creating input mechanisms and output displays in collaboration with team members.
The ideal candidate is highly adaptable and eager to meet – and exceed – the needs of our rapidly expanding organization, with exceptional communication, project management skills, as well as fluency in innovative thinking. He/she will join a talented, passionate, diverse, and innovative group of individuals who embody The Academy Group’s core values: Excellence. Determination. Justice.
The Platform Developer will report to the Chief Operating Officer but within a matrix reporting structure.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The Platform Developer will be primarily responsible for the following:
- Design web front and backend infrastructures leveraging Python, Flask and Jinja
- Manage and maintain Academy Group’s PostgreSQL database
- Design and conduct training programs for team members to use database
- Monitor networks to ensure security and availability to specific users
- Monitor and support database performance, evaluating and resolving processing and programming problems, and answering user questions
- Maintain IT security by preparing access and control policies and procedures
- Support application design by contributing expertise to applications, operations and technical support teams
- Evaluate team needs for other technology solutions and spearhead searches for any new solutions
- Oversee database and portal expansion
- Completing short- and long-term data analysis projects for team members
The Platform Developer will also assist with managing other technology creation requests from other members of the team by creating RFPs that accurately summarize the needs of the team.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 2+ years of experience in database management
- High level of proficiency of SQL, basic APIs, AWS, PostgreSQL, and Python
- Understanding of current trends and best practices in AWS management
- Relevant work experience with Python web development
- Experience building user friendly and functional web interfaces to the data
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, integrity, zest, mission-focus, and autonomous nature
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization
- Ability to work under dynamic, evolving conditions
This position will be based in Chicago.
Compensation and Benefits
The Academy Group offers a competitive salary and comprehensive medical, vision, dental and 401k package.