About the Role
Root is looking for an experienced Principal Product Designer to be a strategic design contributor on a team dedicated to creating a best-in-class onboarding experience. You’ll be responsible for helping shape and craft the experience for one of Root’s highest trafficked surfaces—the new customer journey—which covers how customers get started with Root, how they interact and engage during our test drive, as well as how they understand their price and make insurance decisions. You’ll work closely with product managers, engineers, data scientists, researchers, and the marketing team to help fuel Root’s growth objectives and balance those objectives with customer needs. As a Principal Product Designer, you’ll create beautiful, intuitive product experiences that result in exceptional outcomes for the business and our customers.
You deeply empathize with customers.
You put every effort into understanding what our customers – and their customers – need. Your experience and intuition give you a strong signal to head towards. What you don’t know, you learn through qualitative and quantitative research, analyzing previous test results, competitive analysis and whatever other tools are at your disposal.
You are a thoughtful generalist.
You design from start to finish. This means working with your partners in product management to define problems, understand and iterate on possible solutions, create prototypes and wireframes with a keen eye for visual design. You’re comfortable working closely with engineering throughout development to ensure the final product works as you intended and looks as good in the hands of the people using it as it did on your screen.
You solve business problems.
You internalize business objectives and ship products and experiences that reach them. You understand how to focus on a core hypothesis and don’t get distracted by features that detract from that goal.
You have strong opinions, weakly held.
You express your opinions passionately but are open to changing those opinions in the face of new data. You challenge your colleagues to consider alternative viewpoints and advocate for the customer every step of the way. You focus on finding a shared vision and strategic alignment with your partners and strive for continual progress.
What you'll do.
- Be actively involved with defining product strategy & roadmaps
- Apply human-centered design methodologies and design cohesive experiences across several products within a product platform
- Work cross-functionally with engineering, product, marketing, sales and leadership to shape product
- Identify when and how to conduct user research studies and put the insights into action.
- Distill complex problems into easy to understand user flows and wireframes.
- Design user interfaces that are easy to understand and beautifully crafted.
- Build interactive or motion prototypes to communicate experience.
- Learn everything there is to know about insurance and telematics.
- Demonstrate leadership to the wider Design team. Mentor, inspire, give feedback and model best practices and behaviors to others on the team.
- Facilitate collaborative design with partners in and out of the product design team.
- Present your work to leadership as well as peers across the company.
What we're looking for.
- You have 7+ years of experience in product design, user experience, or a related field.
- You’re a customer champion and practitioner of human-centered design methodologies with a deep understanding of digital product development.
- You’re a self-starter who thrives in ambiguity, and can balance switching between strategy-level and pixel-level work.
- You're an excellent listener and communicator, with the ability to negotiate and collaborate with partners on work.
- You are comfortable designing products from MVP to ideal state with experience developing experiment driven work.
- You have high attention to detail; are comfortable independently multitasking and prioritizing projects in a fast-paced work environment.
- You have the ability to collaborate with partners in product management and engineering through the whole product lifecycle.
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us