The newly formed Experience Research team is looking for an experienced Communication Designer to join us in designing the future of people-centered healthcare.
This person can be located in Austin, Chicago, or St. Louis.
Ascension, one of the largest non-profit healthcare systems in the United States, has established an in-house, interdisciplinary Research team tasked with shaping the experience strategy and design for digital products and technology-enabled services across the entire spectrum of care delivery. This team – in deep collaboration with colleagues in design, product management, engineering, data science, clinical operations, and more – uses human-centered design methods to understand the needs and motivations of our patients and clinicians and bring solutions to life.
The Experience Research team is responsible for understanding end-to-end patient and provider journeys, challenges, and unmet needs to identify the most impactful opportunities for us to address. As a comprehensive healthcare system that includes a vast range of healthcare services, this could include the design of virtual care delivery, nurse communications, remote health monitoring, surgical operations, financial transparency and payment, care coordination, member health benefits, and more.
Our research team, comprised of User Experience Researchers, Service Designers and Communication Designers, aspires to create seamless, end-to-end experiences for those we serve through a cohesive ecosystem of well-designed, user-friendly services, products, and applications. From problem discovery to product delivery, we put people at the center of everything we do.
What You Will Do
This role is responsible for supporting the creation of many different communications for the research team such as presentations, storyboards, videos, websites and printed collateral primarily for internal audiences including executive leadership, product teams and business partners. You will collaborate closely with experience researchers, service designers and UX designers on artifacts like current and future-state journey maps, personas, service blueprints, north star visions for future experiences, and more.
Expert capability in visual and written communication design across a diverse range of media is imperative for this role. In addition, ample experience applying human-centered design methods to the creation of communication experiences is required, and experience visualizing complex frameworks like infographics, user journey maps, or data visualizations is highly preferred. An understanding of how communications connect to and are shaped by service design, digital UX design and technology is highly valued, as is experience with healthcare. Your role will be part of the early formation of the interdisciplinary Research team, and you will help to put best practices in Communication Design in place for the team.
Please include a link or a copy of your portfolio in your application.
- Serve as lead communication designer on multiple projects
- Support team members in creation of digital and print artifacts
- Establish communication design best practices and educate team collaborators on communication design techniques.
- Collaborate with counterparts in design and marketing to ensure proper integration of the Ascension brand experience, brand voice, language research, and editorial and style guidelines into our artifacts
- Collaborate with external contractors and partners as needed
What You Will Need
- Strong portfolio of work in various communications media that reflects experience in both digital and non-digital communications.
- Fluency across a variety of communications approaches, such as illustrations, storyboards, journey maps, service blueprints, frameworks, audio/visual communications, etc.
- Excellent written and visual communication skills
- Rapid prototyping to bring concepts to life in service of learning and advancing understanding of user needs and behaviors
- Conducting feedback discussions with users and internal stakeholders to refine concepts
- Strong knowledge of user-centered design principles
- Excellent interdisciplinary team collaboration skills, including team leadership
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Communication Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Service Design, Industrial Design, or similar field preferred.
- 3 years of experience in communication or visual design required.
- 5 years of experience in communication or visual design preferred.
Why Join Our Team
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care – including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.