Senior Experience Designer
The Nerdery is looking for a highly motivated and passionate Senior Experience (XD) Designer to be responsible for crafting the approach and user experience of our projects in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment. The UX team covers a broad spectrum of practice areas including: business discovery and analysis, user research, content strategy, information architecture, interaction design,visual design, and usability evaluation. Our ideal candidate possesses a broad understanding encompassing multiple practice areas.
The Nerdery’s project work is diverse, ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies and anything and everything in between. Members of our design team are tasked with solving business and user problems in all shapes and sizes and the outputs of our engagements are anything from web applications to marketing sites to native apps and more.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Project Work)
- Provide strategy and execution for a variety of clients and project types
- Craft project plans and complete design effort scoping
- Lead projects of all shapes and sizes independently or as a team for multiple clients.
- Ensure a high quality of work from each designer on a project team
- Collaborate effectively with developers and other designers to craft solutions for a variety of different platforms and industries
- Work effectively within technical, creative, and budgetary constraints
- Conduct business discovery and user research to understand requirements and generate insights that shape the UX strategy and design decisions
- Facilitate collaborative client discovery and design workshops
- Analyze, evaluate, and organize digital content based on users’ mental models of a system or domain
- Design usable and compelling interactions for websites, mobile applications, native applications, and more
- Prototype, test, and iterate on designs
- Evaluate the usability of existing systems as well as preliminary designs
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Company Support)
- Provide assistance to sales during the up-front information gathering process by crafting the UX approach for client opportunities
- Mentor fellow team members on client work
- Support hiring efforts by participating in candidate interviews, design challenge reviews, and design challenge workshops
- Experiment with new tools and design methods to help us continually evolve our design practice
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Track record of successfully leading and managing complex project engagements
- Ability to quickly and efficiently identify and prioritize requirements across multiple projects
- Possesses critical and creative thinking skills while maintaining close attention to detail
- Ability to pivot and provide varied project approaches as necessary
- Can communicate clearly and concisely through both written and verbal means
- Demonstrated understanding of user-centered design principles
- Ability to facilitate client interactions
- Ability to conduct research techniques such as: usability testing, card sorting and contextual inquiry
- Experienced in developing prototypes at varying levels of fidelity
- Portfolio showcasing experience in designing digital products and/or services
- Expert-level proficiency with a variety of design tools including Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote, OmniGraffle, Axure or equivalent software programs
- Possess a high aptitude for learning
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Five or more years of user experience design for software, Web applications, and other emerging technologies.
- Academic background in a related field, such as Design, HCI, Psychology, or commensurate work experience.