Senior Visual Designer at 8th Light, Inc. (Chicago, IL)
Who We Are
At 8th Light, we take a human-centered design (HCD) approach to crafting digital solutions, collaborating with the people writing code as well as those using it. We embrace the need for adaptability in a constantly changing world. Our design team is composed of thinkers and doers, with a breadth and depth of experience across UX research, UX design, UI design, and implementation with specific expertise in software product design and delivery, ready to take on most any challenge that we encounter.
As an employee-owned software consultancy, we consider software design and development a craft. We're driven by our deep commitment to excellence, and powered by our collective depth of knowledge and experience.. We value colleagues who enjoy learning and teaching, which creates our collaborative organization.
We enjoy working with empathetic, passionate collaborators who value the work they do. At this time, we are seeking a Senior Visual Designer to join our human-centered software design team.
Who You Are
A Visual Designer with a depth of experience in graphic design and breadth in UX, applying typography, color, imagery, and other visual elements that best serve the needs of our solutions and our clients' brands.
You've created delightful and useful visual designs in the past and would describe yourself as being most inspired when you can bring others on a journey aesthetically and conceptually.. You've successfully:
- Applied brand guidelines to digital assets (e.g., app screens) ensuring a cohesive look, feel, tone, and messaging
- Utilized design concepts (e.g., Gestalt principles) to make pleasing graphical user interfaces (GUIs) grounded in the needs of end users
- Created high fidelity mockups that meet business needs through a lens of usability, accessibility, feasibility, and aesthetic quality
- Created and/or maintained libraries of product icons, colors and fonts
- Regularly seeked and participated in design reviews with project teams and the broader design discipline
- Collaborated closely with developers to ensure design integrity is maintained through implementation
What You'll Do At 8th Light
You'll establish and maintain our design system, working with fellow design team members to build out our design assets. You will also support client projects, working at the brand and user interface levels to deliver best of breed visual experiences. In unison with the design and engagement teams, you will be responsible for:
- D esigning human-centered software solutions, leveraging at least 5 years of experience
- Applying the design process to solve complex problems, with a portfolio that demonstrates your skills
- Collaborating with designers and developers on integrated teams to bring your designs to life
- Facilitating effective communication with internal teams, clients and partners in team and workshop contexts
- Applying high-quality presentation and writing skills
- Demonstrating expert command of Adobe Creative Suite and other industry tools and best practices
Nice to Have
We work across many areas, and encourage anyone with the experience mentioned above to apply. Given recent client requests, we would particularly like to encourage applicants with experience in the following areas:
- Design consulting across a range of industries and client organizations
- Integrated human-centered design and Agile delivery practices
We truly hope to hear from you.
We recognize that creating a truly diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization is an ongoing journey, and we're excited to share our journey with you. We have a proud tradition of hiring talented colleagues with unusual career experiences. We're more interested in your experiences, results, and impact than brand names, degrees, or keywords that may appear on your resume. We appreciate your time in completing a few application questions to help us get to know you better.
8th Light is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.