Sr. Manager of Design (Merchant Experience) at Groupon
Ready to build products in a truly product-driven company? Are you passionate about using technology to change the world?
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
Groupon is looking for a talented hands-on Sr. Design Manager to join our team in Chicago, IL, where you'll be leading a team focussed on delivering world-class tools and experiences for Groupon Merchants. You are passionate about UX, and helping local businesses succeed, extremely detail-oriented, organized and willing to push the team with creative and constructive solutions. A great communicator with keen design judgment comfortable collaborating with cross-functional teams - who doesn’t get flustered easily. Someone who enjoys helping teams stay organized and effective, and can demonstrate success doing this in similar contexts. If you don’t know an answer you’ll dig until you find it. You know when to pull the right people into situations, and when to lead through your own initiative. You can sell their ideas to internal clients, because you’re a champ at presenting.
You love collaborating with designers, user researchers, content strategists, product managers, engineers and data-nerds to build the right solutions. Like to set the agenda and recognize designing high-impact products that result in significant business impact is more important than winning awards. You think if something is worth doing, it’s worth doing right.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
You’ll spend time on the following:
• Lead and manage a small team of designers to oversee and innovate the ways our merchants interact with Groupon’s platforms and tools to achieve business success.
• Collaborate on design strategy, staffing, project approaches and timelines, and overall vision with the team.
• Influence the team’s prioritization by understanding roadmaps and project requirements in collaboration with product managers, product designers and engineering leads.
• Drive project planning in collaboration with individual team members helping to creating/manage milestones and negotiating the workload and timelines with product management and engineering.
• Balance getting work done with setting aside time to provide leadership and vision for the team.
• Passionate about career and skills development, and take an active role in helping mentor your team and create opportunities for ongoing development.
• Staff projects based on a keen understanding of skills, experience, and personality of team members - you realize staffing is a bit like matchmaking, and think about more than just availability before making assignments.
• In the details enough to know what is happening and what needs fixing, while balancing time across many complex initiatives and not letting something fall through the cracks.
• Representing the interests of the team with partners and leadership by breaking down barriers.
• Create, improve, and contribute to our workflow processes, protocols, and tools.
• Actively build a strong relationship with design leadership, business leadership, marketing, sales, product and development teams to ensure your team can be successful, and when things get tough you have relationships to rely on for help.
We’re excited about you if you have:
• Minimum 8 years in UX with 4 years leading UX teams in a in-house or in consultation with clients.
• Experience in building a world-class user-centered UX teams taking on big, complex challenges.
• Experience in leading multi-platform design initiatives across web, iOS, and Android.
• Ecommerce, marketplace, local commerce experience - preferably in large-scale enterprises
• Exceptional portfolio demonstrating complex problem-solving skills backed up with strong rationale.
• Understanding and staying current with industry trends in design and software development.
• Proven leadership skills coupled with an ability to actively manage project work across multiple resources and workstreams
• Must be able to work in Groupon’s Chicago office, while working with a geographically distributed team.
• Bachelor or Master degree in HCI, Design, or a related field.
• Experience designing and building enterprise-focussed software a plus.
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our employee resource groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.