The newly formed Experience Research team is looking for an experienced Sr. Service Designer to join us in designing the future of people-centered healthcare.
This role can be located in Austin, Chicago, or St. Louis.
What You Will Do
This role is responsible for creating seamless service experiences for patients, caregivers, and clinicians, with consideration for entire end-to-end journeys. As a comprehensive healthcare system that includes a vast range of healthcare services this could include the design of virtual care delivery, nurse communications, remote health monitoring, surgical operations, financial transparency and payment, care coordination, and more.
Expert capability in assessing service journeys, creating journey maps and service blueprints, and the use of human-centered design methods are critical to this role. An understanding of how services interplay with digital experiences, technology, communications, and physical environments is highly valued, as is experience with healthcare, retail services, and behavioral economics. A desire to work with complex systems that include multiple constituencies, including various providers, staff, and patients, in dynamic ecosystems is a must.
The work of the team is anchored in human-centered design methodology and includes research and synthesis to understand latent user needs, design explorations to iteratively generate design options, ample prototyping to bring ideas to life, collaboration with design, product, operations, marketing, and clinical colleagues, and a relentless passion for engaging directly with the user to continuously improve their experience.
Your role will be part of the early formation of the interdisciplinary Research team, and you will help to put best practices in Service Design in place for the team. You will teach your peers and mentor less experienced researchers and designers, and you will be part of bringing design thinking to non-design colleagues across the organization.
*Please include a link or a copy of your portfolio in your application.
- Lead strategic service design initiatives from conception to execution
- Establish service design best practices and support service design team development
- Represent service design capabilities with colleagues across the organization
Skills and Knowledge
- Empathy for the user and a deep understanding of user-centered design (UCD) practices and principles
- A strong portfolio of work in service design, showcasing experience across the span of the design process
- Ability to identify design opportunities and iteratively evaluate and refine concepts through user-centered research and synthesis
- Ability to prioritize key areas or moments of differentiation by different users and stakeholders
- Collaborating with colleagues to generate many possible design solutions
- Rapid prototyping to bring concepts to life in service of learning and advancing understanding of user needs and behaviors
- Conducting feedback discussions with users and internal stakeholders to refine concepts
- Experience in designing with a wide range of service experience media, such as interpersonal communications, digital technologies, physical communications collateral, and physical space design.
- Fluency in service design methods, such as creation of user journeys, service blueprints, service playbooks, service provider training, and more.
- Excellent interdisciplinary team collaboration skills, including team leadership
What You Will Need
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
• 3 years of experience required.
• 5 years of experience HIGHLY preferred.
Why Join Our Team
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care – including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.