Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest-growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What is a Sr. UX Researcher at Clearcover?
We are seeking a Sr. UX Researcher to join our Product Design team to lead Clearcover’s product research efforts to help us build world-class insurance products. This will be a unique opportunity for the researcher to define and champion how we do UX research at Clearcover. Clearcover understands that insurance plays a uniquely different role in the lives of each of its customers, so we want to invest in understanding exactly what they want, need, and how they feel when using our products. We also understand that insurance is purchased in a number of different ways including through a number of distribution channels. The Sr. UX Researcher will be responsible for using qualitative and quantitative research methodologies to gather the insights we need to make informed product decisions within our existing distribution channels as well as determine if there is a growth opportunity in new channels.
We are looking for someone who is highly self-motivated and offers experience collaborating with product designers, product managers, and other stakeholders to deliver compelling insights that represent the voice of the customer or partner and help guide product design decisions at Clearcover.
What will you do?
- Transform questions into formal research plans using appropriate methods to gain meaningful insights
- Identify opportunities to improve product experience through user interviews, focus groups, A/B and multivariate testing
- Work to define the formal UX Research process at Clearcover including the research methodologies, tools, and outputs
- Be responsible for discovering and supporting new business channels using research to discover and validate opportunities
- Work directly with our partners to discover how we as a carrier can reimagine the way a partner-to-carrier relationship exists
- Discover growth and expansion opportunities within our existing distribution channels
- Initiate qualitative research, from developing surveys to participant recruiting, development of prototypes for testing and setup for in-person labs
- Work directly with our product manager & product designers to define job stories for feature creation using B2C/B2B2C/B2C UX persona’s
- Work with our internal product analysis team to discover negative user interaction trends proactively
- Produce highly detailed research summaries/artifacts that can be shared across the entire organization
- Create discussion guides and leading open-ended, contextual conversations to find answers to key questions
- Discover ways to recruit agent/agency partners onto our research panel
- Run on-site and remote moderated and unmoderated user research
- Advocate for and champion a user-research/user-first organization
- Lead internal research workshops to improve teams research literacy
- Mentor junior research peers on UX Research principles and best practices
Nice to haves:
- Work experience in the insurance industry
- Previous experience working at a fast-paced start-up
What do you have?
- Undergraduate and/or advanced degree – in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, or other related disciplines with a solid foundation in research-based design using both quantitative and qualitative methods
- You have a minimum of 3-5 years experience leading UX research in consumer-facing web and mobile products
- Ability to communicate effectively to engage stakeholders across the entire organization
- Proficiency in a variety of UX research methods and tools, including rapid experimentation, prototyping, usability testing (remote and in-person), ride-alongs, journey mapping, card sorting, prototyping, user interviews, surveys, persona development - and know how/when to advocate for different methods.
- Proven ability to collaborate with designers to realize human-centered designs based on your understanding of HCI fundamentals
- Demonstrable understanding of core UX principles
- Ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment, manage competing priorities, and be an independent problem-solver
- High levels of energy, integrity, and curiosity
- A bias for action and willingness to be accountable for your actions
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium, 75% of your dependents and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social