Vail Systems Company Profile
The human voice is capable of conveying nuances and meaning that just can't be expressed through clicks and text messages. And for that reason, voice interactions have always had a special power to shape our perceptions and experiences. At Vail, we believe in the unique power of voice interactions to create more expressive, more intimate, and more efficient interpersonal interactions. Our experts work with Fortune 500 companies to help them serve their customers more efficiently and effectively through the use of various voice technologies. From basic network services, to state-of-the-art IP telephony, to cutting edge real-time analytics, Vail technology makes millions of voice interactions better every day.
Before any solution, there is a problem that needs solving. Identifying and understanding the problems our customers face ensures the development of a proper solution. Having a user-centric perspective helps focus the execution of that solution around delivering the best experience a customer can have. Working intimately with product and engineering teams, our UX and visual designers strive to give effective form to the functionality of Vail's most innovative voice applications. We're looking to add a talented individual to our UX team, someone that:
- Is both a creative and strategic thinker, able to develop simple, innovative solutions to complex problems
- Has excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Likes to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Recognizes that even uninformed opinions can inform the design process
- Has an ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Can turn unstructured feedback into actionable design modifications
- Enjoys teamwork and collaborative thinking
- Is consistently positive and pleasant with a can-do attitude
What you can expect to be doing:
At Vail, you will impact the user experience and visual design of both client-facing and internal applications. Projects will require a wide range of skills from UX/UI interactions to print design for documents and marketing materials. You'll work closely with internal product teams, corporate marketing, and various clients throughout the entire product lifecycle from our office in Chicago's loop. On any given day you may find yourself:
- Working with business and development teams to understand their goals, explaining research results, and continually improving usability
- Conducting competitor and customer analysis
- Conducting usability testing
- Creating wireframes, storyboards, and sitemaps
- Creating prototypes
- Analyzing user feedback and activity, and iterating to enhance the user experience
- Creating style guides and pattern libraries
- Creating and/or refactoring HTML/CSS based on internal practices, depending on the project
- Cultivating an environment of usability best practices amongst business and development
What we need to see from you:
- A strong conceptual understanding of User Interface Design and the Design Process.
- Experience with basic graphic design principles and best practices
- A Bachelor of Arts of Fine Arts in Graphic Design, or Bachelor of Science in Human Computer Interaction, or similar fields.
- 1-4 years of professional experience as a UX designer, graphic designer, visual designer, interaction designer, user interface designer, or similar role, and a strong portfolio of effective experience design work.
Ideally you will also be able to demonstrate:
- Extensive experience in user research and usability testing
- Advanced knowledge of wireframing and/or prototyping tools and methodologies
- Experience creating style guides and pattern libraries
- Experience with wireframing tools (e.g. Adobe Xd, OmniGraffle, Axure)
- Experience with general design tools (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator)
If you are passionate about user friendliness, aesthetics and form; if you are committed to continually expanding your knowledge and skill set; if you're curious about technology that helps people communicate more freely and effectively; apply to be part of Vail's UX Team.