Visual/Product Design Lead at Equilibria
Equilibria (“EQ”) is a high-growth, omni-channel premium CBD platform for women. We are dedicated to restoring balance to our community — physically and mentally — through our high quality CBD products and personalized dosage & delivery support. We are growing our team with proven, passionate, positive leaders and look forward to hearing from qualified candidates. Corporate Headquarters: River North, Chicago; Bioscience and Farm Operations: Longmont, CO.
More about Equilibria
At Equilibria, “product” is defined as any physical or digital representation of the brand. It marries technology and design with customer & business/team needs, solving problems that increase company value and improve efficiency. As a company where physical goods are sold in tandem with a service (consultations with a Dosage Specialist are included with purchase), “product” touches deep into the human element of respectfully “holding space” for our customers, while simultaneously keeping this service offering efficient and supported by technology + automation.
“Product” also involves innovation, specifically targeting customer problems/desires that will further drive company growth and (when applicable) add proprietary intellectual property to the EQ portfolio. We innovate with the cannabis plant/process itself as well as delivery methods/modalities, and we have a lot up our sleeve for 2020!
Product touches every aspect of EQ’s ability to succeed, and great product cannot exist without great design. This is a fast-paced environment in an industry (cannabis) zeitgeist, so thinking on your feet while being a team player is an absolute must. In 2019 we grew at least 50% month-over-month, and in 2020 our 20% goal MoM is aggressive but wholly achievable.
This position is in-house in Chicago, IL and reports to our Chief Innovation Officer (CIO), who is also a co-founder and overseeing all product development/R&D, engineering/technology, and design.
The final title of this position will depend on your skillset! To date, our agency partner has crafted an incredible brand and worked closely with our team on customer experience across branding, web, email, physical collateral, and packaging. We understand that to find someone who is as passionate about web UX/UI, as they are an infographic or print work or (gasp!) packaging is … well, a multidisciplinary unicorn! Inheriting and honoring the work accomplished to date is no small task, and e-commerce product UX + UI (but willing to do branding and light print design) is the highest priority; we are open to contracting someone separately for packaging given that's often its own discipline. Pitch us what you love to do and do well, and let’s go from there. Our todo-list is arduous and the right candidate will drool over all the opportunity to own meaningful work.
This position will exist within the Product team and collaborate very closely with engineers, product ops, PM, and the content team. Variety is truly the spice of life at Equilibria, which means there’s no such thing as a boring day in our office.
Regarding benefits atop commensurate compensation, Equilibria will contribute toward medical insurance, for which we offer multiple options of coverage and premium. We also give every employee a monthly CBD allowance, along with other perks. Additional benefits coming this year!
- Participate in product planning meetings (Mondays) and product stands (Wednesdays) to collaborate on selecting what’s in each weekly sprint and brainstorm new ideas
- Carry a continuous aesthetic between different media-- taking cues from our existing branding/design deliverables.
- Own the UX and UI that fuels customer experience and e-commerce conversion, while also making sure the internal tools we build are easy for our teammates to use.
- Iteratively mock up designs first as wireframes and then as high-fidelity (where needed), always keeping in mind that more mature customers need intuitive design on desktop, but younger customers are mobile first.
- Easily move between different types of deliverables on any given day
- (if applicable) Hold strong opinions and skills surrounding form factor (bottles/jars/etc.) design and their containing cartons -- with an eye on balancing direct-to-consumer needs with those of our retail partners
- (if applicable) Create wholesale/retail countertop + collateral design in situ based on retailer
- Design interactive educational tools, closely paired with an engineer
- Maintain PM policies of requiring briefs/requirements for your work, to manage timeline and expectations for your assigned deliverables (speak up if you don’t have enough information to complete a task!)
- Keep one ear open regarding interdepartmental needs, as nothing exists in a silo at Equilibria!
- Propose ways to use design/design thinking to solve problems or further differentiate us from our competitors
- Grow the brand as needs and vision evolves.
- Positive attitude, even if deadlines looming
- Great communication skills with ability to defend points of contention and constructively criticize when necessary
- Patience for startup lifestyle
- Passion for women’s healthcare/wellbeing/our mission
- Experience necessary with the basics: Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, Miro, etc. Bonus if you’ve edited video before with Final Cut Pro!
- Experience with Woocommerce or another major ecommerce setup is ideal. It's quite different than designing a consumer app or simple content websites!