Back End Developer
To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health. Join the AMA team as the Back End Developer in Periodical Publishing. As part of the team, you will play a vital role in a small, high-performing full stack development team within the larger AMA Education & JAMA Network product group. You will be responsible for designing back-end architectures and writing codes. You will be developing integrations for both new content products and services and for the legacy systems, platforms, apps, and other digital properties of the AMA Education Center and JAMA Network.
Other Responsibilities will include:
- Systems integration – Work / consult across multiple concurrent projects to architect and develop integrations that support new B2B and B2C products and services. Provide technical recommendations and develop appropriate documentation.
- Email platform development – Work with the Digital Marketing team to upgrade its email platform. Master the platform’s SOAP-based API. Re-imagine the platform’s functionality. Write scripts and develop integrations that help multiple departments work with more efficiency and less risk.
- Legacy site support – Provide expertise and development support for legacy WordPress sites. Work with media relations, editorial, and other department that rely on these sites to solve their sites’ technical problems.
- Ongoing operational support –Triage incoming help requests from across the JAMA Network. Develop code solutions to issues, test and validation proposed solutions, and work with AMA IT as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Degree or extensive coursework in computer programming or Web development preferred.
- Strong background in: Full application architecture stack (server, networking, hosting, data modeling, business logic, API layer, UI/UX, Customer needs), MEAN stack (MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS, and Node.js), LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), SQL, and RESTful and SOAP APIs.
- Experience with HTML5 hand coding and CSS 3 skills preferred. Expert in the concept of responsive design, as well as accessible design, and related coding practices required.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite 6.x (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc), custom self-hosted WordPress and Drupal sites, Microsoft Word VBA (Visual basic for applications), and Codepen and Github preferred. Intermediate-to-expert-level familiarity with XML and XSLT/XQuery.
- Experience coding mobile apps strongly preferred.
- Careful attention to detail and ability to accurately perform quality review of coded pages required.
- Aptitude and strong motivation to learn new coding languages and technical skills and apply them quickly to projects on an ongoing basis required.
- Ability to problem-solve creatively required, and ability to work well as part of a team and to clearly communicate programming concepts to non-programmers required.
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously while working independently under deadline pressure required.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills required for interacting and collaborating with technical and non-technical editorial staff.
- Online portfolio of sites and applications coded required.
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan; excellent benefits and progressive technology. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. Please apply at https://ama-assn.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=2&c=ama-assn&id=857&source=BLTIN. The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION