Back End Engineer at Peapod Digital Labs
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Peapod continues to be a consumer-facing eCommerce brand, and is part of Peapod Digital Labs, focused on growing Peapod sales to consumers.
Browse the Aisles-
Our team is leveraging the latest emerging technologies to craft the next generation software core of Peapod Digital Labs' eCommerce and order fulfillment infrastructure. As a Software Engineer III, you will work to build out our suite of highly efficient and performant web services, used to streamline the process of turning orders into high quality products in the hands of our customers.
Recipe for Success - What's "in store" for the role
- Software Engineers are members of a cross-functional scrum team, delivering incremental business value over the course of each sprint and participating in regular scrum ceremonies
- Build web services used in the process of fulfilling customer orders
- Participate in all aspects of the software development life cycle, including analysis, design, estimation, implementation, testing, deployment, and maintenance
- Take pride in generating top-quality, highly maintainable software through participating in code reviews, developing unit tests, writing documentation, debugging issues, and investigating root cause
- Provide mentorship to less experienced engineers
- Participate in level 2 support rotation
- Participate in architectural discussions and generate solutions for highly complex problems.
- Research the latest software trends and emerging technologies and recommend opportunities for innovation
The Essentials in Your Cart - The required ingredients
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or a related field
- 4-6 years of experience developing RESTful Java web services
- Strong understanding of event and service-based architectures and the skills to develop services from scratch using Spring Boot or other frameworks.
- Deep experience with dependency management and build tools such as Gradle
- Experience with Jenkins pipelines, pipeline templates, and Groovy scripting. Candidates should be able to develop new Jenkinsfile templates as well as modify and maintain existing templates to support our applications and services.
- Experience with Docker and containerized services, including the ability to develop and maintain Dockerfiles and Docker images
- Experience working in a continuous integration environment
- A solid foundation in object-oriented software development fundamentals including design patterns, data structures, and algorithms
- Software debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Experience with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Candidates must have the skills to modernize legacy applications and services to a more modernized platform, while simultaneously refactoring to enforce current architectural best practices and standards.
- Must be curious. A significant part of the work involves understanding the platforms that we currently use, which will be aided by a natural inclination to dig in and understand how things work.
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
- Experience with other web frameworks, languages and tools
- Knowledge of real-time data streaming tools and technologies
- Experience with software configuration management tools
- Familiarity with Atlassian JIRA, Confluence, and BitBucket
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.