Vail is a software engineering company that develops its own technology to produce innovative solutions for customers. We support the voice needs of Fortune 500 enterprise customers, including state-of-the-art IP telephony, IVR, call routing, contact center integrations, and cutting-edge real-time analytics, as well as other research initiatives. Vail Platform Operations implements, maintains, monitors, designs, and secures systems and voice platforms with the strong high-availability requirements of a carrier-grade hosting environment. As a DevOps Engineer you will work with software and systems engineers to evaluate, introduce, and operationalize container and orchestration tools for our carrier-grade platform.
- Work collaboratively with software and systems engineers to deploy, operate, and troubleshoot systems that are part of a 24x7 carrier-grade voice platform with soft real-time and low latency requirements.
- Help automate and streamline operations and processes. Build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring, log management, and other operations.
- Evaluate, introduce, and operationalize container and orchestration tools for our carrier-grade platform.
- Operationalize new application and platform components, infrastructure, and critical systems.
- Participate on project teams in designing and delivering solutions.
- Develop migration strategies when switching to new technologies.
- Create and maintain systems documentation and procedures.
- Troubleshoot issues on 24x7 carrier-grade voice platforms, sometimes in customer facing situations.
- Maintain compliance with security standards such as PCI and HIPAA.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field.
- 7+ years’ experience in Linux/unix system administration.
- Proven responsibility for managing mid- to large-sized server environments with strong high-availability requirements.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with configuration management using SaltStack, Puppet, Chef, or an equivalent. SaltStack experience preferred.
- Scripting experience in Shell (bash, zsh, etc.) as well as in Python or Perl.
- Familiar and experienced with monitoring, logging, and orchestration solutions for cloud native architectures, such as Prometheus, ELK, and Kubernetes.
- Technical understanding of virtualization and container architectures.
- Experience with Docker required.
- Experience with cloud services, AWS preferred.
- Experience with continuous integration solutions, such as Jenkins.
- Expert-level knowledge in multiple areas of systems engineering and administration.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of a wide variety of open source technologies.
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations for carrier-grade, highly-available services.