Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
Job Family Summary
Within IS, the platform engineers are responsible for and accounting for the engineering and operations of the Allstate CompoZed Platform which is comprised of cloud environments (Cloud Foundry), distributed systems management systems, and application continuous delivery tools and pipeline.
The Platform Engineer is a full stack engineer who builds and operates the cloud application development and hosting platforms for Allstate. This role will have the primary accountability of owning, developing, implementing and operating Allstate’s Cloud platforms. This role will also encompass developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enable Allstate developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications.
As a Platform Engineer Senior Consultant II, he/she will be part of an engineering team primarily working in a paired programming team, collaborating with different team members. He/she will split time evenly in executing operational tasks to maintain the platform and servicing customer requests; and engineering new solutions to automate the build and operational tasks. He/she will serve as pair anchors being advocates of paired programming, test driven development, infrastructure engineering, and continuous delivery on the team.
- Builds, manages and operates the infrastructure and configuration of the platform infrastructure and application environments with a focus on automation and infrastructure as code
- Builds, manages and operates the continuous delivery framework and tools
- Builds, manages and operates the infrastructure as a service layer (hosted and cloud based platforms) that supports the different platform services
- Writes and builds continuous delivery pipelines to manage and automate the lifecycle of the different platform components
- Serves as an anchor for developing comprehensive monitoring solutions to provide full visibility to the different platform components using tools and services like Graphite, ELK, Datadog, New Relic and other similar tools
- Serves as an anchor for developing log analytics solutions to provide logging-as-a-service to hosted applications based on open source solutions
- Integrates different components and develops new services with a focus on open source to allow a minimal friction developer interaction with the platform and application services
- Evaluates performance trends and expected changes in demand and capacity; and establish the appropriate scalability plans
- Identifies and troubleshoots any availability and performance issues at multiple layers of deployment, from hardware, operating environment, network and application
- Leads post mortem activities to identify systemic solutions to improve the overall operations of the platform
- Recommends and improves technology related policies and procedures
Functional Competencies – Proficiency levels
Infrastructure Engineering 2
Infrastructure Operations 3
Application Knowledge 3
Thriving in Change 2
- Two-year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related area, or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years of application development or infrastructure engineering experience
- Hands-on style - willingness and competent in producing necessary changes in our infrastructure and processes.
- Will be working primarily in an Extreme Programming environment and must be willing to work in a paired programming/engineering model
- Able to facilitate diverse teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Identify creative solutions for technical support issues
- Able to communicate effectively across groups of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to present ideas and solutions
Heads up: when you click “apply now” you’ll be directed to the Allstate careers site. You’re still looking at an Arity job, but because we were founded by Allstate, we share the same application system.