At Built In, the health, safety and well-being of our employees and of our communities is a top priority. Due to the effects of COVID-19, we have decided to manage our entire business remotely until further notice. HQ-based employees will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our office. As we continue to grow, we are excited to be hiring for all open roles and look forward to meeting with qualified candidates in a virtual setting. For anyone who joins our team (yay!), your onboarding experience will also be conducted virtually. Thank you for your interest in Built In and be safe!Hello, We’re Built In
What We’re Up To
We’re building the largest platform for tech professionals globally. Monthly, millions of professionals visit BuiltIn.com from across the world. We’re the only platform they need to stay ahead of tech trends and news, develop their careers and find opportunities at companies they believe in.
Our 1,800 customers include innovative companies of all sizes, from exciting startups to companies in the Fortune 100. To attract our audience of skilled professionals, they trust us to tell the stories of their cultures and share their job opportunities. This helps them hire the industry’s most sought-after professionals locally, nationally and remotely – ultimately contributing to the industry’s ability to innovate a better future.
What You’ll Be a Part Of
Working at Built In is the chance to help shape a fast-growing company. Whereas we served eight tech hubs at the start of 2021, we entered 72 new markets across the U.S. by year’s end. Global plans are in the works. With venture funding of $30 million to date, we’re expanding not just our geographic footprint but our products and technology.
With the launch of e-learning opportunities for users, we’ve made Built In even more valuable for the professionals who already trust us with their careers. And as we grow into the leading SaaS product for employer branding, we're using the latest technologies to serve customers in new, exciting ways — and you’ll contribute to that.
You’ll also be a part of changing the lives of professionals like you, ambitious people with a passion for tech and love of learning. As a result, you’ll understand the impact of your work in a deeply personal, especially meaningful way.We’re looking for a Director, Engineering (Data & Platform)
Built In is seeking a Director, Engineering to lead its data engineering, data science and platform engineering.
You should be a strong and passionate seasoned engineering leader to develop and grow our data platform organization. You are an architecture oriented technology leader with experience managing and scaling a company’s data and technology platform through various stages of growth and scaling of processes, customers and users. As a team leader, you should have strong people management skills at all levels and build a culture of engineering rigor that promotes better products with less downtime and refactoring. You thrive in an environment with complexity and ambiguity, have strong cross-functional communication, are a coach and a player, and will partner with various teams, both internally and externally, to deliver top-notch technology solutions and products. The position reports to the head of engineering in the company.How you'll contribute
- Own the vision for how the data platform will be scaled and and deployed across the organization, serving as the decision maker on behalf of the company's data requirements.
- Transform the technology architecture to support the company growth plans, building scalable platform solutions, that will allow building and customizing best-in-class software products.
- Provide vision and strategy for data management activities: overseeing enterprise information management, championing data governance and quality, ensuring state-of-the-art cybersecurity practices, and developing and maintaining well-designed and integrated systems and information architectures to support this vision.
- Guide the discovery, definition, and build of Analytics and Business Intelligence initiatives utilizing ML with data science leads
- Work within our multi-technology stack including Go, Vue, TypeScript, Python and Docker to build services and applications; Drupal-based platform with content, and Salesforce.
- Create, manage, and integrate timelines for the development and deployment of all significant projects based on resources, dependencies, and requirements. Instill a culture of urgency while not sacrificing code confidence and product quality.
- Manage, hire, and coach a team in data engineering, data science, and platform at multiple levels. You are as comfortable working with employees as well as with global contract resources.
- BS or MS in computer science or information technology, or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 10 years experience with data engineering
- Proven experience with Python and Go
- Experience with data warehousing and data pipeline tools e.g. Snowflake and Airflow and building data platforms using Big Data stack (Kafka, Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Hive ..) on public cloud AWS (EMR, S3, Glue, Kinesis..)
- 5+ years demonstration in a technology focused managerial role with very clear leadership attributes – ability to set direction, grow team members, set goals, prioritize and recruit talent, among others.
- Domain expertise with marketing technologies (martech) including building unified data profiles, audience targeting and retargeting, customer data platforms, and AI and ML solutions.
- Experience with agile software development practices, integration and release methodologies. Strong mix of both management and technical skills—you will create architecture and also execute on it.
- Ability to manage technical debt driven by commercial outcomes for products, combined with ability to build products with best engineering practices with high quality code.
- Ability to build strategic relationships with all engineering teams, product, and other cross-functional stakeholders to align on and deliver on technology and company OKRs
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for data engineering and platform architecture initiatives and teams by tying performance to established metrics that determine how offering is driving growth for the business, while building engineering best practices.
- Awareness of latest Martech and HR Tech trends and best practices, with ability to choose what is practicable and what advancements best suit the needs of the company and its users.
- Care about building a strong organizational culture that values growth, learning, ownership/accountability, delivery, diversity and inclusion, and collaboration.
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every point on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and this role is aligned with your career trajectory.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Built In is guided by principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to this work over the long-term, but here’s some of what’s in place today:
- We have five thriving ERG groups: Built In For The People, BuiltOut, United We Parent, Womxn United in Tech and Built In Tribe.
- We have a dedicated Director, HR + Inclusion who oversees our DEI roadmap, which provides our annual metrics, goals and initiatives.
- We are proud to be led by a female CEO and founder.
NOTE: BUILT IN NEVER CONTACTS JOB APPLICANTS VIA TEXT, MESSENGER OR OTHER SIMILAR APPLICATIONS. BE AWARE OF PHISHING AND SPOOFING SCAMS, BOTH VIA TEXT AND EMAIL. ONLY RESPOND TO EMAILS FROM BUILTIN.COM