Director of Engineering
Coach. Lead. Learn. Enjoy.
As the Director of Engineering, you own the enablement and success of product team engineers. Partner with product leads to design beautiful products and invent new features. Learn from our industry leaders how we’re disrupting healthcare while honing your technical and leadership skills. Collaborate with peers, mentor engineers, and enjoy the experience of working with highly competent people all while keeping our customers at the center of what we do. Come help us transform the healthcare industry!
At VillageMD, we have built our technology by standing on the shoulders of giants in the tech space. We leverage proven open source technologies developed at AirBnb, Amazon, and Facebook. We participate in the open source ecosystem inclusive of the data ontology, OHDSI. As a member of our team, you will spend time coaching and facilitating our product teams in designing and delivering new-to-market solutions with great velocity without sacrificing quality.
What are examples of work that Directors of Engineering have done at VillageMD?
- Facilitated daily huddles and served the engineers by removing blockers, clarifying requirements, and bringing high energy
- Organized weekly lunch and learns by soliciting feedback on content, reviewing and copyediting it with lead engineers, and helping present it
- Reviewed pull requests for high quality code and facilitated discussions on code reviews and design decisions
- Wrote code for one of our critical data pipelines
What will make you successful here?
- A desire to be accountable for owning problems while enabling teams to deliver beyond what they thought was possible
- An ability to serve engineers and enable them to deliver 2x
- A passion to stay technical and in the details while still contributing some code
- A bias for action and pragmatic solutions
- A capacity for scaling small teams using automated testing and engineering best practices to deliver always-used, can’t do without features
- A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust through communication and doing what you say you will do
What you might do in your first year
- Engage a technology partner from initial contact through scaled deployment on a mission critical product
- Redesign the CI/CD pipeline to increase engineering velocity 1.5x
- Contribute elegant code to a feature that gets deployed in a product you help facilitate
- Beautifully manage our velocity vs. technical debt delivery
- Provide masterful technical recommendations and prototype for a new product
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 10+ years of full-time experience
- Practical experience with Java / Python is preferred (C# and Ruby can work too)
- Some experience with the warts of clinical and financial healthcare data will help (a lot)
- Recent experience being the lead engineer on a project (and enjoying it!)
- Experience being a non-technical stakeholder in a project with an uncanny ability to represent customers’ needs