Director of Engineering
Who We Are:
We believe a workplace food program is something employees should love and look forward to every day. Powered by technology and a network of over 2,000 restaurants, Fooda feeds hungry people at work through our ongoing food programs located within companies and office buildings. Every day, each Fooda location is served by different restaurants that come onsite and serve fresh lunch from their chef’s unique menus. Fooda operates in over 20 major US cities and plans to continue its expansion across the United States. Eight out of ten employees believe Fooda is one of their company’s top perks.
About the Team:
We are a close-knit product development team of 33 engineers, PMs and data scientists, tackling technical problems around scaling, rapid user acquisition, machine learning and optimization challenges for a high-growth, VC-backed business, every single day. Take an in-depth look at our platform here.
About the Role:
Fooda is looking for a Director of Engineering that brings passion, a strong work ethic and technical expertise to a smart engineering team at a fast-growing technology startup. This is a senior leadership role focused on scaling the organization and practices and delivering best-in-class software solutions. You will manage engineering leads as well as junior developers while driving agile product delivery across multiple teams.
- Build high-quality, performant software solutions for Fooda’s growing marketplace of restaurants and businesses
- Grow and develop an incredible team of 8-12 talented and motivated engineers, offering ongoing feedback, professional growth opportunities and overall career guidance
- Implement an “engineering lead” model as the team grows and nurture that talent; manage Engineering Managers depending on the growth of the team
- Employ agile-based development methodologies and introduce new models of development practices aligned with changing business priorities and roadmaps
- Closely partner with product and business teams to provide subject matter expertise on product decisions and roadmaps
- Wear many hats! Depending on the projects your team is tackling, you will play a combination of technical lead, project manager, product leader and guide
- Enjoy a fantastic work-life balance with daily releases and no on-call duty
- Build new features within a small, agile team
- Work downtown at one of Chicago’s fastest growing startups
What You Should Already Have:
- 7+ years of backend engineering experience developing and shipping commercial B2B software with paying customers (marketplace experience a plus)
- Minimum of 5 years in leadership roles of increasing responsibility and scope, have managed engineers and engineering managers, and have directed groups larger than 20 people
- Track record of building credibility and trust with talented software engineers, peers and cross-functional teams based on competence, not title or authority
- Managed groups across different geographic locations
- Expertise in deploying test-driven development and automated testing across teams moving towards continuous delivery
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and supporting tools such as Jira, Confluence, Rally, etc.
- Driven individual with enthusiasm for working in a high-profile, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent communications skills; can speak effectively with executives and customers in fast-developing situations and write clear critical customer communications
- Confident in challenging engineers by asking probing questions around architecture and product decisions
What We’ll Hook You Up With:
- Competitive market salary and stock options based on experience
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision plans
- 401k matching and flexible spending account
- Paid maternity and parental leave benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Laptop and peripherals of your choice
- Daily subsidized lunch program (ours!) and free food and beverages in the office
- A fulfilling, challenging adventure of a work experience
Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. No phone calls or recruiters please.