We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help lead our Database Engineering Organization, which focuses on building and maintaining our persistence technologies. These systems handle hundreds of thousands of requests per second, with strict reliability and stability requirements. In this role, you and your team will have responsibility for the integrity, resiliency and security of these systems. The system is comprised of over one thousand Cassandra nodes, extremely high throughput Elasticsearch clusters, a Kafka backbone, and distributed caching clusters, all across multiple Amazon regions. This team works day in and day out on some of the most complex distributed systems problems and is the engineering organization's bedrock.
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
The Impact You Will Make
- Build and improve internal tools and automation software to make maintaining persistence technologies easier and safer.
- Build self-service tooling for the wider engineering organization to adopt to reduce operational toil and improve end-to-end ownership.
- Implement and improve upon our persistence technologies' metric and observability telemetry and visualizations to enable software teams to operate more efficiently.
- Work across engineering to design scalable and performant data models.
- Drive reliability and observability improvements. Using service level objectives and other telemetry data, you'll help the engineering organization to make informed decisions on where reliability challenges may exist and help design and build solutions to improve them.
What You Bring to the Table
- You actively promote value diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Experience leading and managing projects. You should understand how to take a multi-month project, break it down into manageable chunks, and execute without guidance.
- You know what you're doing. You have experience as a Manager-level Site Reliability Engineer working on extremely high throughput systems. You should understand how to scale a distributed system, failure modes, monitoring, et cetera. You should have the battle-scars and learnt and applied the critical lessons.
- You can go hands on and dive deep with your team when needed. You build and enable great teams by creating mechanisms that enable scale and predictability, while empowering the engineers to work autonomously.
- You're methodical, exercise high judgment and humble. Decisions are based on facts and logic. You don't wing it. When mistakes happen you own them.
- You invent your way around existing constraints. You don't settle for status-quo or good enough.
- You're experienced with distributed, scalable microservice-based architectures.
- You have a working knowledge of Cloud providers and their services (especially AWS).
- You're experienced writing code that automates complex operations. We want someone who can write OO, testable code, not just scripts. (We use Python, but experience in any similar language or a JVM based language is acceptable.)
- You've designed and managed non-relational, partitioned datastores (especially Cassandra) in a zero-downtime environment. You have a solid understanding of denormalized data modeling, CAP theorem, and tunable consistency levels.
- You're well-acquainted with Linux and its inner workings.
- You've got a solid grasp of performance monitoring methodologies and tools.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Vaccination Requirement: Grubhub employees are required to be fully vaccinated. Candidates must confirm vaccination status at time of hire, and must provide proof of full-Covid-19 vaccination within 2 weeks of starting employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as: "2 weeks have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's vaccine.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]