Engineering Manager, Rails at Ascent
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series A funding round of $6M in 2018. Our engineering team is scrappy, creative, and collaborative with a “Yes, and” mentality. While we’re committed to doing great work, we also cherish having an empathetic, fun environment where everyone feels safe sharing their ideas and problem-solving together. We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results.
Together, we’re solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You are an experienced engineering leader with a passion for growing your distributed and colocated teammates alike, ensuring that they are empowered to accomplish their best work. You enjoy collaborating with product leaders, quality assurance leaders, and devops leaders in order to provide world-class software systems to end users
You’ll be leading the growth of our core customer-facing platform, as well as laying the technical foundation of the company to support future growth and expansion.
- Collaborate with your team to establish and evolve a technical roadmap for our customer-facing platform.
- Meet regularly with your 4+ direct reports, ensuring that they are meeting their performance objectives and growing in their careers.
- Work effectively with your team’s product manager to ensure that feature development and technical improvements are balanced.
- Provide technical guidance, mentoring, code reviews, pair programming, and direct coding contributions in our Rails, React, Elasticsearch, and Postgre Stack.
- Work effectively with our devops and QA teams in order to ensure high availability systems and high quality functionality.
Minimum Skills and Experience
- 2+ years working on geographically distributed teams
- 3+ years of team leadership using Rails and/or React
- 8+ years of professional web development
- Experience with a major cloud provider, such as AWS or Azure
- Experience deploying and maintaining code using git-based tools and CI/CD
- Experience writing thorough tests and documentation for maintainable code-bases
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with distributed team leadership
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!