Entry Level Software Developer (2019)
ThoughtWorks is looking for Entry Level Software Developers to join us in 2019. We have open positions in Chicago, Dallas & Atlanta.
ThoughtWorks isn’t your average company, so we don’t hire average people. We hire those who want to use technology to address challenging problems, explore new domains and advocate for social justice.
We’re a global software consulting firm with more than 5,500 employees on six continents with no plans of stopping. We’ve made a name for ourselves during our 20+ years of business. Our clients know that we will deliver amazing custom software and that we never compromise on excellence. Our expertise and scale allows us to bring the same benefits to our social and economic justice causes that we do to our corporate clients.
We’re more than just a consultancy — we’re a social community composed of individuals who bring curiosity and a real passion for technology; the kind that makes learning seem more like fun than work. This community flourishes with continuous learning, teaching, and knowledge sharing, so we’ve implemented a “no jerks allowed” policy.
The ThoughtWorks First Year Experience is an onboarding program focused on helping new ThoughtWorkers learn about our culture, our approach to technology consulting and in general, how to be an amazing ThoughtWorker. The program provides mentorship and connections within the organization, but also challenges each new hire to think about their strengths, opportunity areas, goals and career path.
People with less than 1 year of work experience in the tech industry follow our Entry Level Experience Journey which begins with ThoughtWorks University (TWU) - a five-week training course in India or China. Those five weeks are dedicated to understanding the culture at ThoughtWorks and preparing you for your role on a client project. Once you return home, the TW First Year Experience provides ongoing onboarding support to help you get your career started on the right track.
As a ThoughtWorks Consultant Developer, you’ll get to:
- Work alongside deeply talented developers, analysts, and designers.
- Take on business-critical problems with custom-designed, multi-tier applications using a wide range of technologies.
- Work in Agile, Lean, and Continuous Development environment.
- Work in an informal, collaborative, transparent, non-hierarchal, ego-free culture where your talent is valued over a role title.
- Kick-start your career outside the confinements of a traditional career path – one which focuses on your strengths rather than a predetermined one-size-fits-all plan.
- Shape the future of our organization by leading and/or contributing to communities within ThoughtWorks.
- Freely voice your ideas (and listen to your peers) as part of continuous open and passionate debate on every topic, both technical and non-technical.
- Be a part of an organization that is as committed to social responsibility as it is to technology and innovation.
- Positive outlook and hunger for learning.
- Ability to travel up to 100% (back home on the weekends) across the US and Canada to help our clients solve their business problems.
- Computer Science degree is great, but if you like to write code and love technology, we’re not going to rule you out for not having one.
- No more than one year professional experience working as a developer.
- Understanding of analysis, design, coding, and OO concepts.
- Curiosity of software development practices, in particular, Agile development practices.
- Collaborative and un-hierarchical work style. (Not sure if that’s you? Think back to your last project – how would the team describe working with you?)
- Work towards doing what it takes to get the job done. (That might mean returning to the drawing board with a problem or simply taking on different roles and responsibilities. It might even mean you thrive at adapting to changing environments).
If you're interested in starting your software development career with ThoughtWorks, we cannot wait to meet you. We have some of the best and most qualified technologists on the planet- Come join us!
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you?
That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (tick 'contact me about recruitment opportunities' to hear about jobs in the future).
~Please note that unfortunately ThoughtWorks is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.~
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.