Full Stack Ruby Software Engineer
Strong Growth and Profitability
OppLoans has grown 1,500 percent over the last three years, with 2018 marking the third year in a row we made the Inc. 500. We have originated hundreds of thousands of loans and will surpass $125 million of annual revenue in 2018. In 2019, we’re projected to exceed $200 million, all while maintaining strong profitability.
OppLoans is committed to delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. Don’t believe us? See what our borrowers are saying on Google and the BBB!
Employees Love Working Here
With a dynamic startup culture and generous benefits, we’ve attracted top talent and boast one of the happiest offices in the country. We were recently named the 3rd fastest-growing startup by Built In Chicago and are looking to hire 100 new employees in 2019. In 2018, Glassdoor named us the 6th best place to work in the nation. Check out our reviews to see why our employees love us!
- Contribute to the development of our product portfolio, primarily built with Ruby, Amazon Web Services, and PostgreSQL.
- Collaborate with business and technical professionals across the organization to ensure the code is well designed within an Agile framework. In addition, partner with these teams to contribute to architecture and various development environments as needed.
- Perform code reviews, unit testing, integration testing, documenting and implementing software best practices.
- Continue to learn new tools and languages. We take development seriously! Our team manages our own internal training, with budgets for classes, conferences, books and materials….we want you to grow your skills with us.
- Mentor other junior members as the organization and team grows.
- Experience interpreting & refining business objectives into actionable requirements, having delivered large scale projects from concept to production.
- At least 2 years of experience using a modern programming language. Ideally you’re already proficient in Ruby but lack of it won’t automatically disqualify you; our collective team background includes Ruby, Python, Java, Node.js, Erlang and C++. Show us you solved real, non-trivial engineering problems with your language and we’ll be interested in you.
- At least 1-2 years experience developing systems with Amazon Web Services technologies; Lambda/API Gateway experience a big plus.
- At least 1-2 years of experience with Test Driven Development (TDD).
- At least 1-2 years of experience building out Restful API’s and consuming 3rd party API’s.
- At least 1 year of experience with HTML/Javascritp/CSS.
- Experience with Terraform, Kubernetes and Docker a plus if you have it, but not required.
- Experience executing deliverables within an agile environment.
Competitive salary and benefits package including:
- Fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks & drinks available.
- Subsidized daily lunches.
- CTA & Metra benefit program.
- Free gym membership.
- Free shuttle passes to Metra stations.
- Casual dress policy.
- Discounted Divvy memberships.
- 401(k) match program.
- Free OppLoans apparel.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Fun, fast-paced work environment.
- Employee and peer recognition program.
- Dynamic start-up culture and environment.
- Ability to make an immediate impact in a growth stage company.
- Flexible paid vacation policy.
- Free health benefit options.
- Intramural sports leagues.
- Weekly office events (happy hours, massages, game nights, private yoga sessions, catered
- breakfasts, etc.).
- Dual monitors and stand-up work stations.
- Convenient downtown Chicago office located in the heart of the city.
- Awesome panoramic office view of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan, with rooftop access.
- Equal opportunity employer.