Java Web Software Engineer at Vail Systems, Inc.
Java Web Software Engineer
Vail Systems Company Profile
The human voice is capable of conveying nuances and meaning that just can’t be expressed through clicks and text messages. And for that reason, voice interactions have always had a special power to shape our perceptions and experiences. At Vail, we believe in the unique power of voice interactions to create a more expressive, more intimate and more efficient interpersonal interactions. Our experts work with Fortune 500 companies to help them serve their customers more efficiently and effectively through the use of various voice technologies. From basic network services, to state-of-the-art IP telephony, to cutting edge real-time analytics, Vail technology makes millions of voice interactions better every day.
Java Web Software Engineer
Our voice technology is cool, but it’s mostly invisible. That’s why we take great care in surrounding our voice applications with elegant and intuitive web-based applications to make them tangible and usable. Vail’s web development team develops user applications that enable our clients to achieve optimal benefits from our software. Creating intuitively usable web applications is a multi-disciplinary process that requires instinct, creativity, empathy and an eye for detail. We assemble collaborative teams made up of industry experts and neophytes applying principles of application design, graphic art and even cognitive psychology to ensure that we approach problems from every angle. We’d like to add a Web Reporting Software Engineer to our team and we’d like to know if you think you fit the bill. You will if you:
- Thrive in a collaborative environment
- Are able to pick up new concepts quickly
- Can keep an open mind to new ideas
- Have excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Don’t mind using those skills to share your best ideas
- Have an ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Aren’t afraid of ambiguity and can problem solve with little direction
- Have a positive, can-do attitude
What you can expect to be doing:
As part of the team you’ll be expected to coordinate with internal product teams to design and develop intuitive web applications using state-of-the-art technologies. Your work will be the main thing that our Fortune 500 clients and consumer users see when they interact with Vail’s technologies. You’ll work in small teams out of our office in Deerfield, IL developing applications using the latest Java frameworks, APIs and maybe some other technologies that your expertise or curiosity helps bring to the table. We encourage you to consistently experiment with new technologies in order to tackle a complex problem from multiple angles. You’ll design, code, debate, learn and share; you’ll work hard, but you’ll have fun every day.
Essential functions that are expected:
- Design, develop, implement and maintenance/support for web applications based on Spring Boot framework with JDBC/LDAP/Bootstrap/Datatables/Docker
- Design, develop, implement and maintenance/support for backup applications based on Spring Boot framework with JDBC/Docker
To be considered for this position, you must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of proven success in a software development role
- A strong understanding of object-oriented software development techniques
- Experience with the Linux command line
Ideally, you will also be able to demonstrate:
- Web development experience using MVC frameworks
- Skills with shell scripts, Spring JDBC/SQL, Spring LDAP, Log4j, Apache/Tomcat, Maven, Docker, and vi editor
- Experience with agile development practices
- Experience with TDD and BDD
- Experience with git
- Familiarity with UNIX/Linux/OSX
If you believe that the user interface is the application, can make the complex simple and are curious about technology that helps people communicate more freely and effectively, then you want to be a part of this team.