Lead Software Engineer (RoR) at Litera (Chicago, IL)
Our Story: Litera, headquartered in Chicago, IL, is a fast-growing software company and one of the leading legal technology suppliers in the world. Serving more than 90% of the world's largest law firms, our software is used by hundreds of thousands of lawyers every day. As a company recognized as one of the best places to work, we believe professional development, rewards programs, open communication, and transparent leadership all contribute to a unique and open work environment. Our employees are driven, energetic, passionate, and have the ability to make a direct impact on the future of the company.
The Lead Software Engineer plays a significant role in the success of our engineering teams. Your time will largely be spent working directly with engineers and our product team to ensure continuous delivery of quality product. You'll build new features for our customers and build new integrations with our vendors and partners. We operate with an agile scrum SDLC, and as a Lead Software Engineer you'll help refine stories by defining scope, schedule, and staff requirements. You'll participate in the development lifecycle from start to finish, and have influence over how we change and adapt our processes to meet the needs of our customers and the business.
A Day in the Life:
- Guides the design and implementation of large business initiatives
- Meets with our product team to talk through possible solutions to our customers most pressing problems.
- Negotiates scope and communicates trade offs
- Prioritizes and assigns stories weekly
- Manages and oversees pull requests
- Grooms story backlog with Product Managers
- Participates in code reviews
- Mentors, coaches, and sponsors team members
- Encourages high test coverage and adherence to best practices
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete our developer onboarding process
- Meet your team and learn the nuts and bolts of our business, and where we're going
- Familiarize yourself with our technology by pair-programming with teammates and attending training sessions presented by your peers
Within 3 months, you will:
- Work closely with your team on day-to-day engineering tasks
- Unblock team mates and ensure progress is being made smoothly
- Assist with communication and presentations to stakeholders
- Get involved with building regular processes for keeping our technology hygiene high
- Manage and oversee pull requests for your team
Within 6-12 months, you will:
- Feel ownership and accountability over your sections of our application and code base
- Become a subject matter expert in 1 or more parts of our code base
- Anticipate and resolve technical issues at the product level
- Work across scrum teams for platform level enhancements and changes
- Excellent written, verbal, and video based communication skills (we're a distributed team)
- Experience of at least 1 year as a lead of 2+ engineers
- You have a strong technical background with Ruby and Rails
- Proficient working with git and Jira based pull request workflows
- CI/CD experience (Jenkins, TravisCI, CIrcleCI, Bitbucket, etc)
- Experience with React is a big plus!
- Keen to help architect solutions and scale a product
- A high bar for quality software
- Enjoy brainstorming product and technical ideas
- Excited by the idea of scaling apps to millions of users
- 3+ years relevant experience, with solid knowledge of:
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity with AWS, Docker, Rollbar
- Cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to solve them
- PDF document processing experience a big plus
- A strong desire to keep learning new things!
What Sets us Apart?
- Work with a team that has a proven track record.
- Our company growth will challenge and encourage you to broaden your skills.
- Generous allocation of paid time off, and flexible work hours.
- Available merit-based cash bonus plan.
- Many opportunities for rewards and recognition!