About The Opportunity
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from more than 55,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,100 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, AllMenus, and MenuPages.
We want you to enjoy where you work, whom you work with and what you work on. At Grubhub, you can order your cake and eat it too!
You will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
You will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the SQL Server OLTP and Data Warehouse, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health, and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modeling in support of multiple development teams. Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Craft and perform regular database schema changes manually and via Flyway
- Create new database clusters/shards and slaves for support data growth
- Troubleshoot performance issues and suggest optimizations
- Automate recurring DBA tasks
- Participate in database space reclamation activities
- Complete capacity planning to accommodate rapid growth
- Be part of DBA team on-call rotation
- Monitor database environment to maintain high availability and proactively identify and solve issues
- Work with and educate our dev team to make good schema design choices and write efficient queries
- Monitor and enhance our backup solution to ensure that our customers’ data is always secure
- Document and practice failover scenarios
You Should Have
- BA/BS degree in Engineering, CS, or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience with MySQL architecture, replication, sharding, monitoring, troubleshooting and backups.
- Penchant for automation and strong use of a scripting language (such as Bash, Perl, Python or Ruby)
- Expert knowledge with SQL and stored routines
- Experience working with MySQL in sharded environment and associated challenges with performance and growth
- Working knowledge with AWS database technologies like Aurora, DynamoDB, Redshift, etc will be a plus
- Working knowledge with No-SQL technologies like MongoDB and Cassandra
- Able to meet deliverables and drive your work to completion within specified timelines
- Can work cross functionally in many areas without being constrained by your job function
- Collaborative, upbeat work ethic where you are expected to communicate well, take ownership, and have fun
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an email to: [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.