Principal Engineer- Inventory Deployment and Planning at Nordstrom
- Principal Engineer - Inventory Deployment and Planning
A Principal Engineer is a key member of the Inventory Engineering Leadership team, focusing on end-to-end experience for Inventory Deployment capabilities such as Allocation, Replenishment, Restocking Exhaust and Planning capabilities like Inventory Planning, Assortment and Financial Planning.Our Principal Engineer applies scientific, mathematical and social principles to design, build, and maintain technology products, devices, systems and solutions. This is a strategic position within the engineering discipline, influencing the direction and technology decisions for overall discipline and practice. The scope, responsibility and accountability are at the solution level while driving enterprise level ambitions and objectives.
As a Principal Engineer you will be collaborating with other principal and senior engineers to build and support inventory deployment and planning tools to ensure inventory is made available on time, at the right place for our customers. You will be directly working with business partners to innovate and design for a dynamic retail environment.
A successful candidate will have experience working through ambiguity, helping to define technology requirements with managers and engineers and incorporating customer feedback, as well as identifying potential problems before they become real problems. You will need a strong passion to innovate and collaborate across teams to deliver a optimal solutions for our business partners while driving the technical objectives and vision forward.
A day in the life...
- Partner across functions, building relationships that allow you to influence the strategy, plans and work to improve customer value through service, experience, availability, quality and cost
- Be an active participant in the Design Review process, evaluating and providing feedback on projects and architectures with an engineering focus.
- Apply advanced concepts, theories and principles to create multi-disciplinary innovations and solutions for the most complex or risky business situations
- Communicate performance and plans that require identifying and evaluating trade-offs within or across functions. Continuously develop and optimize frameworks to drive customer value through service, experience, availability, quality and cost
- Contribute to development of new principles and concepts
- Collaborate with and influence team, partners and organization
- Drive Technical excellence and engineering standards in the delivery of solutions.
- Provide thought leadership across multiple organizations to ensure that systems and services are designed, and operating to achieve optimal levels of performance, reliability and sustainability
- Ensure security coding practices and security system fundamentals across multiple organizations
- Demonstrate ability to identify important areas to instrument across multiple organizations
- Identify & interpret KPIs for continuous improvement across multiple organizations
- Evaluating and recommending new and emerging products and technologies
You own this if you have...
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in CS, Engineering
- 10+ years professional experience in practice area with demonstrated progression in responsibility
- Proficient in analyzing, designing and developing reliable and scalable solutions with best practices and compliance with industry standards
- Experience working directly with technical teams in an agile software development environment
- Demonstrated experience bringing large scale change opportunities to life through storytelling, fact-based orientation, and using advanced analytics to inform complex decision making
- Ability to articulate complex concepts to cross functional audiences and influence outside technical teams
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and make things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Creative thinking and problem-solving in the face of ambiguity with limited resources and real-world constraints, and the ability to identify the root cause of complex problems.
- Ability to work independently and with remote teams.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to influence through writing
- A breadth of diverse experience across operating systems, languages, tools, cloud providers
- Strong and creative problem-solving abilities
- Collaborative, Results oriented, high energy, self-motivated
- A willingness to partner across all dimensions of Nordstrom to influence, drive, and deliver change
- Analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions
- Provide guidance and oversight for implementation and delivery of solutions.
- Collaborate with other engineers and managers on feature design and delivery to business users.
- Provide mentoring to other developers and engineers on best engineering practices
- Champions and identifies design improvements; makes recommendations to close gaps and build alignment.
***** This position requires you to be in a hub location. If you are already located in one of our hubs (Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, or Los Angeles), you can work from that location. However, if you are located elsewhere, you must be open to relocating to Seattle or one of our hubs once employees return to the office.
We've got you covered...
Our employees are our most important asset and that's reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It's not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2021 Nordstrom
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.
Hourly and salary pay ranges specific to Colorado are listed below, which is provided in compliance with Colorado law. Nordstrom continues to remain competitive with pay and benefits in all markets.
Minimum - $12.55/hr
Maximum - $46.10/hr
Salary (Non-Exempt and Exempt)
Minimum - $30,200/annual
Maximum - $289,200/annual