Senior Android Engineer at Sprout Social
At Sprout Social we are building software that is made to last. Our 25,000+ customers rely on us daily to effectively collaborate and engage with their customers across their social networks. Sprout Social is used by companies like the Chicago Bulls, Sony Electronics, Indiana University, Make-a-wish Foundation, Edelman, and Subaru to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media.
Our work has to adapt as brands are innovating on workflows for content creation, real time customer service, marketing campaigns, and data driven decisions. Our mobile apps, at the core of these critical workflows, are powered by our reliable, scalable, resilient distributed systems, which must be nimble enough to adapt to new capabilities being offered by social network APIs.
We do not operate as lone wolves or “10x devs.” Instead, we’re building diverse, collaborative teams that get the best results sustainably. Embedded as a member of our autonomous mobile team, you will work in tandem with Product, QA, Design, and platform engineers. You will leverage your experience building and deploying native, customer-facing, Android applications using Java, Kotlin and Android Studio to deliver impactful product features to our customers. You will own and work to actively improve the processes, systems, and tools we use to deliver a quality mobile product.
We’re looking for a creative, pragmatic, collaborative, highly motivated, and inquisitive Android engineer to build great software with us. If you are excited about building native Android applications and are passionate about learning, we would love to talk with you!
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- 5+ years of experience building and maintaining mobile applications for Android platforms
- 4+ years of experience in Android native mobile programming languages, such as Java, Kotlin Multiplatform
Additionally, these are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- Fluency with Object-Oriented and MVC programming models
- Proficiency with offline storage, threading and performance tuning and familiarity with Android’s material design and interface guidelines
- Demonstrated experience with mobile application development tools and techniques, such as different Android versions, Android SDK, Dagger Hilt, Retrofit, RxJava, Android Jetpack and Android Studio development environment
Within 1 month, you will:
- Attend and complete Sprout Social’s two-week new hire training and onboarding program alongside other new Sprout team members. In these sessions, you will gain a broad understanding of our products and how your role directly impacts the product, overall organization, and our customers.
- Make a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn about Sprout’s approach to mobile engineering.
- Get to know everyone on the Mobile team: including iOS, Android, and QA Engineers, Product Designers, and Product Managers
- Learn the Sprout product, Android app codebase, development lifecycle, release process, and team rituals.
- Deploy code to our production Android application in order to understand the engineering environment, build tools, testing, and deployment mechanisms.
- Get regular team feedback on your code through code reviews.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Have a firm understanding of the Sprout Social product and how those features are implemented and supported within our Android application.
- Focus on delivering quality code, with meaningful test coverage and legibility.
- Contribute to our Agile culture of continuous improvement through retrospectives and experimentation-oriented thinking.
- Participate in technical design meetings with your teammates to walk through new feature ideas and provide feedback to the Product Design team.
- Monitor the health of our Android application, acting as the first line of defense against app crashes and bugs while on support.
- Build connections with members from other teams through active networking and community building.
- Own the development and delivery of a mobile feature alongside another mobile engineer.
- Collaborate regularly with your product manager, QA engineers, and across other engineering disciplines to deliver value to our users.
- Partner with the API teams to design, develop, and test changes to mitigate the risk of breaking changes
Within 6 months, you will:
- Integrate, use and improve our monitoring and alerting tools to identify and address problems before our users.
- Work with product managers, mobile designers and platform engineers to iteratively deliver new features.
- Improve the performance of our application and your team’s ability to deliver a reliable, highly available Android Application.
- Own the development of a mobile feature that directly interfaces with the Sprout Social platform.
- Have your first performance conversation with your manager, where you’ll discuss your accomplishments in your role and work together to build goals for your professional growth
- Build your engineering skills by attending in-house presentations, workshops, and training sessions.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Own the technical architecture and development of large-scale mobile product features from start to finish.
- Work closely with colleagues to constantly enhance the application by suggesting innovative features and solutions - improving development workflows, design, and the overall experience.
- Provide thought leadership in mobile engineering and bring your passion for technology to motivate and inspire your team.
- Actively mitigate risk of failed delivery and missed deadlines through courageous, transparent communication and collaboration with colleagues and stakeholders throughout the project life cycle.
- Identify technical debt and performance bottlenecks within our systems, design solutions, and work with your team to see them to successful outcomes in production.
- Mentor less experienced engineers, helping them to hone their technical and problem solving skills.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course, what is outlined above is an ideal timeline, but things may shift or change based on business needs; other projects or initiatives may be added at the discretion of both you and your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our [email protected] program, employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and mentorship programs for aspiring leaders
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. For those that prefer an office setting, this role may be based in our Chicago or Seattle locations. If you prefer to work from your home, we can accommodate that for many locations across the United States. We are not set up in all states, however, so please take a look at the drop down box in our application to see whether your state is listed.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2020 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.