Senior Android Engineer
About The Role
Yello is looking for a motivated, detail-oriented individual with a strong background in mobile software development to join our team as a Senior Android Engineer. This individual will be an integral part of our Android development team and will be a large part of building out the next generation of our mobile applications. At Yello, we are building new applications and features using Kotlin, GraphQL and Android Jetpack libraries. Use modern tools and design patterns to craft new features in our apps, utilize CI to automate our development process, and discuss architecture decisions and best practices with the team.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Design and develop high-quality software solutions for large-sized features and small applications with testability, readability, edge cases, and errors in mind.
- Refactor and improve existing code to be more readable, performant, maintainable and testable.
- Ensure our Android apps are performant through monitoring and optimization.
- Respond to customer concerns pursuant to our internal Service Level Agreements.
- Provide support to the team in meeting its commitments and help guide them through associated technical risks and challenges (QA, pairing, code reviews).
- Help your team continuously improve through documentation, mentoring, coaching, and knowledge sharing.
- Aware of current technology trends and their benefits/shortcomings and leverage modern languages and frameworks such as Kotlin.
- Ensure quality delivery to production by participating in the continuous delivery, continuous deployment, and test automation processes.
- Support and contribute to the work of our platform and API teams, working outside of the team as necessary.
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years of experience working with developing Android applications in a professional environment.
- Excellent object-oriented coding skills and an understanding of common object-oriented design patterns.
- Strong understanding of Java language features with a cursory understanding of Kotlin.
- Familiarity with using advanced features in Android Studio and the Android emulators.
- Ability to write SQL queries to handle data persistence on a device.
- Experience with git and modern source control best practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Familiarity with REST API technologies and HTTP.
- Familiarity with GraphQL is a plus.
- Experience with adding and updating unit tests as part of the development process.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
We are the trailblazers in our space and we continually strive to learn and grow, but there is always time to celebrate a colleague's birthday or a recent success. We dress casually, have one of the best views in the city and the whole team sports Apple laptops. Our CEO Jason Weingarten and President Dan Bartfield always have their office doors open. And with opportunities for professional advancement, medical, dental and vision insurance, and a 401K match – Yello has you covered.
- Yello is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Candidates local to Chicago are preferred.
- You must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Must be able to sit or stand for continuous periods of time
- This role frequently communicates/interacts with individuals, must have strong written and oral communication skills
- Yello reserves the right to assign or reassign the responsibilities and requirements to this job at any time