Senior AWS Cloud Engineer at Everspring
Are you interested in an exciting role as a key systems subject matter expert that has one foot planted in Security in the Cloud and the other in DevOps Automation? If so, we have a role that does not come around too often that may be of interest to you...
You will work closely with the developers to design and continue buildout of DevOps Automation while working with other AWS Engineers to maintain our Cloud infrastructure. Does this sound like you?
If it does, you will also work closely with our Information Security Engineering team to architect secure solutions in alignment with business needs. This is a fast paced, exciting role, and well suited for a self-starter looking to get hands-on experience in a variety of different areas.
Everspring builds and enables highly effective online learning to help people advance their skills, education, careers, and, ultimately, their lives. As part of the Everspring team you will help us continue to deliver excellence and accelerate our ability to educate people for the future.
This position reports to the Director of Technology. The preferred location is Chicago, IL where our headquarters are located, but remote candidates should still apply (strong preference for Central or Eastern Standard Time locations within the United States).
Cloud Engineering & Security
- Build and maintain reliable infrastructure and security services in AWS to deliver highly available and scalable services. Use native AWS infrastructure services such as IAM, EC2, EBS, CloudFormation, CodePipeline, CodeBuild, Auto Scaling, Cloudwatch, etc.
- Basic system administration tasks such as configuring servers and applications, automating routine tasks, backup/restore, etc.
- Provision and maintain accounts in AWS, issue VPN certificates, install SSH keys, etc.
- Serve on the on-call team, and as an escalation contact for service incidents
- Build engineering automation and productivity tools to streamline and scale applications across all environments.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to application development, deployment and operations.
- Work collaboratively with all participants in agile software development project and support developers and testers as they set up their build Dev / Test environments.
- Automate everything to minimize manual work and meet security and compliance objectives in all aspects of the secure cloud ecosystem.
- Integrating automated software tests with the build process
- Script with deployment automation tools e.g. Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation etc.
- Implement automated high-availability deployments
- Become proficient in understanding how each software component, system design and configuration is linked together to form an end-to-end solution
- Minimum of 5-7 years as a DevOps/Sys Engineer (or similar position) in a production capacity utilizing AWS
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong understanding and knowledge of Linux, Automation Tools (Chef or Puppet), AWS Services (EC2, Network, ELB, S3/EBS, etc.), and scripting languages (Ruby, Python, Shell, PowerShell or other).
- Knowledge of SQL & NoSQL databases
- Hands-on experience in working with security systems including firewalls, intrusion protection/detection systems, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management and content filtering etc.
- Knowledge of security concepts such as (cloud) Authentication, Authorization, web attacks (DDOS, SQL injections, person-in-the-middle, etc), securing web application, payload encryption & decryption, environment security, etc.
- Strong understanding of network concepts including TCP/IP, HTTP and TLS.
- Experience with orchestration tools such as Ansible (or chef/puppet)
- A track record of delivering IT and application automation using these automation tools.
- Experience designing/deploying highly available middleware or application components.
- A willingness to be flexible in responding to customer issues as they occur, and the ability to identify product/deployment improvements to mitigate future occurrences.
- Experience with cloud hosted apps/service, AWS specifically, and able to translate business requirements into securely implemented capabilities in the Cloud
- Deep understanding of version control systems (Git, svn, etc.), including branching and merging strategies
- Possess knowledge of systems infrastructure with domain expertise in areas such as networking, storage, high availability, cloud security, application performance, etc.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related degree.
- AWS certifications (professional or specialty preferred)
- Security (particularly cloud security) certifications or training a plus
Everspring, Inc. is an ed-tech trailblazer. We create customized, integrated digital solutions that enable top universities to design and deliver their programs online, with excellence. Our exceptional technology platform and robust supportive services empower universities to focus on teaching engaging content that transforms lives.
We offer a range of full-service turnkey solutions and fee-for-service offerings, as well as a set of innovative standalone products. We deliver industry-leading outcomes in academics and instructional design; market research and program design; marketing and lead generation; recruitment and enrollment services; student support and retention services; and technology infrastructure and analytics. Our proprietary methodologies yield uniquely tailored solutions that drive tangible value for our university partners, their faculty, and their students.
Based in Chicago, Everspring serves a growing number of colleges and universities.
We care deeply about our employees. We offer many benefits which include but are not limited to medical, vision and dental insurance, HSA, FSA, long-term and short-term disability, pet insurance, 401K with a match, generous PTO plan that accrues with tenure, 10 paid holidays, free access to an employee assistance program, professional development opportunities, a fitness center subsidy and much more! In 2021 and 2022, Built In named us one of the "Best Places to Work" in Chicago. We also offer plenty of opportunities to have fun together!
In the spirit of caring for one another and our community, please note that upon accepting an offer of employment from Everspring, you will be required to share proof of your Covid-19 vaccination.
Everspring is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Everspring makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
If you believe you have what it takes but don't necessarily meet all of the criteria outlined, please apply-you could be exactly who we are looking for!