Senior Business Intelligence Engineer
SPINS, a Chicago-based SaaS company, is seeking a Business Intelligence Engineer to join its growing Retail Applications team.
By leveraging SPINS’ industry-leading proprietary data and analytics, our technology enables deeper, more engaged relationships between Retailers, Brands and Consumers through our platform, web, and mobile products.
WHO ARE WE?
- We eat collaboration and curiosity for breakfast
- We communicate quickly and succinctly
- We believe in roles instead of jobs
- We take initiative independently and hurdle challenges together
- We discuss, debate, decide and do with the same rapidity as we iterate our platform
- We are a talent ecosystem whose health is predicated on each individual’s ability to support every other individual’s success
WHO ARE YOU?
- Someone energetic, empathic and earnest
- Someone who wakes each morning thinking of which opportunity they will grab today
- Someone that refuses to give up when the path isn’t paved
- Someone that consistently delivers quality work on schedule
- Someone who would rather build the right tool to do the job than wait until they’re handed one
- A creative thinker as adept at looking at the Big Picture as they are at the details
- An obsessive perfectionist that knows when to put down the paintbrush and ship
- The kind of person that can expertly use an Onion headline as an analogy in a serious strategy meeting
WHAT DO WE NEED?
Are you interested in helping customers discover and add healthy foods to their lives and help retailers and brands understand and reach those customers? SPINS is looking for an experienced Business Intelligence Engineer to help us create and deliver actionable insights to our customers through our next-generation of products. We are building exciting new experiences and driving new customer interactions with our growing retail platform and want to find someone as passionate about creating incredible products as we are.
In this role, you will develop and support the analytic technologies that give our retail and brand clients flexible and structured access to their data, including implementation of a BI platform, defining metrics and KPIs, and automating reporting and data visualization.
A successful candidate knows and loves working with BI tools, can create beautiful, compelling data visualizations, is comfortable accessing and working with data from multiple sources, and can partner with internal stakeholders to help drive product features from inception to use. The candidate will need to be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and able to think big while paying careful attention to detail.
WHAT ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES?
- You know and love working with and creating business intelligence tools, can model multidimensional data-sets, and can create solutions which answer key business questions. You are analytical and creative and you don’t quit.
- Interface with business customers, gathering requirements and delivering complete BI solutions.
- Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources and APIs
- Lead customer utilization research projects to better understand how our customers are using our product.
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
- Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service reporting for customers
YOU PROBABLY HAVE...
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, related technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years professional experience
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in analytics, data engineering, business intelligence, market research or related field
- Knowledge of at least one common data science programming language (e.g. R, SAS, SPS)
- Experience gathering business requirements, using industry standard business intelligence tool(s) to extract data, formulate metrics and build reports
- Experience using SQL, ETL and databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
- Knowledgeable in formalized QA/Testing strategy, processes, methodologies, and standards
- Strong communication skills
- Familiar with Agile frameworks and testing process implications.
- Solid understanding of application/software lifecycle and quality assurance processes and tools.
- Must adhere to established timelines and have a strong focus on ensuring all deadline dates are met.
- Able to clearly articulate complex issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated strong analysis, problem resolution, judgment and decision making skills.
- Ideal experience:
- Graduate degree in computer science, business, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field
- Both technically deep and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects across functional teams, including engineering, IT, product management, marketing, finance, and operations
- Proven track record of successful communication of analytical outcomes through written communication, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Knowledge of Advanced SQL
- Experience with data visualization using Qlik or similar tools
- Experience in consumer-facing industry