Senior DevOps Engineer
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series A funding round of $6M in 2018. Our engineering team is scrappy, creative, and collaborative with a “Yes, and” mentality. While we’re committed to doing great work, we also cherish having an empathetic, fun environment where everyone feels safe sharing their ideas and problem-solving together. We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results.
Together, we’re solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your products.
As a DevOps Engineer at Ascent, you will be implementing and advocating strong operational practices across product engineering teams.
- Architect infrastructure for new and existing products in collaboration with technical teams.
- Create automation and automated tools to enable reliable standardized development processes across the tech team.
- Execute strategic projects to accelerate our builds and stabilize our applications.
- Ensure observability of our current and future systems.
- Implement with an emphasis on testing, maintainability and clean coding practices to produce simple solutions and reduce tech debt.
Minimum Skills and Experience
- 5+ years as a systems administrator, software engineer, site reliability engineer or devops engineer
- Professional experience writing a high level language such as Python
- Proven ability to develop creative technical solutions given a set of business requirements
- Experience with a major cloud provider, preferably AWS or Azure
- Experience deploying and maintaining code using git-based tools and operating in a continuous deployment/integration environment
- Experience creating CI/CD pipelines, particularly using CircleCI
- Excitement about DevOps as a culture
- Experience with data engineering
- Experience with IaC, particularly Terraform
- Experience with Kubernetes
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!