SENIOR ENGINEER - LINUX
Ulta Beauty is the largest specialty beauty retailer in the United States and the place for the true beauty enthusiast who gets butterflies as she shops for beauty and experiments throughout our store. We are the only one to provide our guests prestige, mass and salon products and services under one roof – All Things Beauty, All in One Place™. We put our guests at the center of all we do, committing to offer her unrivaled ways to be beautiful in an environment that provides the thrill of exploration and delight of discovery.
The Senior IT Engineer plays a critical role in engineering, design, maintenance, installation, and troubleshooting of the Linux operating system. They are responsible for base linux OS in regard to base configuration, configuration changes for specific applications, integrations into Storage, VMWare and other compute platforms, patching, security, access control, licensing, package control, monitoring, life cycle, upgrades and general subject matter expert items.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Project Management: Defines, documents and carries out small projects. Carries out project approach with stakeholders, and prepares realistic plans (including quality, risk and communications plans) and documents activities against the project schedule, liaising with stakeholders as appropriate.
- Systems Integration: Designs and builds integration components and interfaces. Leads practical integration work under the technical direction of the system /service designer. Contributes to the overall design of the service and assesses the technical criteria for product or component selection.
- Business Process Improvement: Analyzes business processes; identifies alternative solutions, documents feasibility, and recommends new approaches. Contributes to evaluating the factors which must be addressed in the change program. Helps establish requirements for the implementation of changes in the business process.
- Capacity Planning: Develops and maintains standards and procedures for service component capacity management. Pro-actively reviews information in conjunction with service level agreements to identify any capacity issues and specifies any required changes.
- Customer Service Support: Liaises as the routine contact point, receiving and handling requests for support. Contributes to creation of support documentation.
- Create and Review/Approve technical designs, implement, and support ULTA’s enterprise environments.
- Key member in ULTA’s automation development and implementation.
- Communicate directly with the business and IT to develop high performing, efficient, cost effective, and operationally supportable solutions that meet the business’ complex requirements.
- Identify opportunities for improvement within the environment, both technical and operational, along with plans to capture those benefits.
- Create process and actively train/educate level 1-2 operations teams as well as your team members on matters Linux..
- Responsible for the overall server area including maintenance (patching, Operating System upgrades, etc), managing incidents, root cause analysis and change control processes
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Works closely with peer ULTA IT, security, operations and business teams to deliver infrastructure services to support Enterprise applications (e.g. SAP, JDA, HANA, Manhattan) throughout the company.
- Collaborate with other members of the Engineering organization to create and maintain standards and operating procedures, and provide information as appropriate to manager, project manager, and various departments within the Company.
- Participate in industry forums, trade shows and seminars as appropriate; Read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures to keep abreast of latest trends in industry.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related field, or applicable work experience
- 4+ years of progressive IT engineering experience, including Linux Support, Project Implementation and Linux Administration in a large enterprise.
- Strong experience in Linux(RHEL), Access Control (Centrify), Licensing/Patching (Satellite), configuration management (Ansible), Scripting (bash), Application OS preparation for Oracle, JBoss, Tomcat etc, Storage and VMWare integration with RHEL.
- Working knowledge of VMWare, VMWare Storage, DNS/DHCP (infoblox), Network (ACI), Compute platforms (UCS , HPE Synergy, Nutanix).
- Demonstrate decision making, problem solving and analytical skills with particular attention given to detail and accuracy
- Strong team player with proven experience to collaborate with other server, network, storage engineers and administrators
- Excellent communication skills; feels comfortable working with non-technical business partners
- Able to follow-up, follow through and deliver quality and timely results
- Able to prioritize workloads and adjust schedule to meet deadlines
- Able to adapt to rapidly changing technologies and apply them to evolving business needs
- Off-Hours support including 24x7 on-call required
- Minimal travel required (training/conferences)