Senior Engineer - Store Checkout & Pay at Nordstrom
A Senior Engineer 1 is part of a key team of Nordstrom Technology professionals that applies scientific, mathematical and social principles to design, build, and maintain technology products, devices, systems and solutions. These technology products and solutions provide amazing customer experiences while meeting the needs of the business. The scope, responsibility and accountability is at the level of outlining work beyond the scope of a single unit. This level will support splitting larger designs into work units and capable of undertaking as well as mentoring other engineers across a wide spectrum of activities as needed.
The Store POS and Orders team exists with the mission to power the selling experience of our Sales people within Nordstrom stores. This team supports a portfolio of apps that span full stack across a distributed system and network of devices within our 300+ Nordstrom stores. This role will serve as your growth vehicle to leverage your existing experience developing front-end applications to build the future of our Point of Service system. We are looking for skilled experts in the front-end domain, with openness to both individuals who are pure front-end focused or want to grow into a full stack engineer or leverage previous full-stack experience. You will get the opportunity to be a development lead on the large scale development of Progressive Web App's that will power the experience of both our customers and Salespeople within our four walls.
A day in the life...
- Help develop PWA's, libraries, services (if interested) that power our Salesperson to customer selling in stores
- Assist in mentoring a team of skilled engineers, while you yourself get direct mentorship and support to grow your career to the next level
- Design and Prototype. We love individuals who like to make things real. It is most often in the act of writing the code we realize the larger implications. Senior's typically set the path and standards for the team.
- Think in terms of telemetry and operations. Senior Engineers aren't just thinking about the code they are writing today but as well if there team's merge requests will be maintainable, or testable. And when we inevitably have something crash in production, making sure we know before customers
- On-call support - If Production is broken we fix it because we care about our customers. We also care about you and ensure we have scheduled on-call distributed across our team. We are all human and need rest.
We'd love it if you have...
- Experience leading front-end or full-stack projects
- Enjoy helping lead the development and delivery of high impact applications
- Think of the customer and how they will use the application. What form factors? What defines success? If you naturally think customer first, this position is for you.
- Think deeply about the underlying system that is running your code and how your code will behave in production
What Technologies look like..
- Front end - Progressive web apps built on React and Redux, deployed to Kubernetes in the cloud.
- Back end - A Mix of modern Java web services and Kafka data streaming. Typically on our team, we are building the necessary composition API's to integrate our Enterprise data sets as directly as possible into our applications. Services are typically deployed to Kubernetes in the cloud.
- Hybrid cloud - Given we live in the four walls, we deploy in those walls as well. Think of each store as a data-center with the compute horsepower to keep running when cables to the internet are cut (true story).
- Legacy Stack - It's no secret we have legacy applications. If you feel as much satisfaction as we do powering down old Linux VM's running Tomcat for their last time, this team is a good fit for you.
We've got you covered...
Our employees are our most important asset and that's reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It's not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2021 Nordstrom, Inc.
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.