A Senior Engineer 1 is part of a key team of Nordstrom Technology professionals that applies scientific, mathematical and social principles to design, build, and maintain technology products, devices, systems and solutions. These technology products and solutions provide amazing customer experiences while meeting the needs of the business. The scope, responsibility and accountability is at the solution level.
The overall mission of the Store Foundation team is to provide the foundation across Store applications in terms of the raw materials required to develop features quickly and efficiently. To create this foundation, we are moving to a streaming world to provide data in real time. To achieve a quick and efficient delivery method, we are investing in continuous deployment and automation in all underlying technologies. We utilize technologies such as Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, and AWS to provide these foundations.
A day in the life…
- Responsible for feature design, evaluate designs and provide feedback
- Collaborate with internal business and technology partners to identify options and analyze the pros and cons.
- Make recommendations for complex technical designs that align with technology standards.
- Develop best-effort estimates for project planning.
- Contribute to documentation of technical designs of systems.
- Influence quality standards and understand, identify, measure across entire solution
- Identify performance issues and optimize solution
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of security coding practices and secure system fundamentals
- Understand security protocols, interpret security and compliance requirements
Who you are…
- A trendsetter. You thrive in an intellectually challenging environment with leading edge technologies.
- A teacher. You’re able to mentor your peers and help our team grow.
- A learner. You have an insatiable thirst for knowledge and greater understanding.
- A pragmatist. Your goal is to create useful products, not build technology for technology’s sake.
- An empath. You understand what the customer needs and use that perspective to create the best user experience.
How we work…
- With others. We have remote pairing tools where engineers often work together, as well as virtual collaboration tools for building out architecture solutions.
- With transparency. We encourage open dialog and discourse. We don’t encourage silos.
- With agility. We don’t believe in following a process for process’s sake. We ship frequently and focus on delivering incremental value.
- With open minds. We are committed to building a diverse team of people with unique perspectives. This encourages a healthy and inclusive environment that builds a more sustainable, successful company.
- With pride. We value our people most of all. We invest in ourselves by applying our own strengths and interests to company needs.
You own this if you have…
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in CS, Engineering
- 5+ years professional experience in and across practice areas
- Experience in modern software development with multi-paradigm languages, such as C#, Java, or Scala
- Experience in technical design of complex systems involving cloud platforms
- Experience with RESTful architecture and micro-services
- Experience with cloud-based services (AWS/GCP)
- Experience with containerization (K8/Docker)
- Experience with real-time data streaming (Kafka/Flink/SQS) will be a plus
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2020 Nordstrom, Inc.