Senior Linux Systems Administrator at Cooler Screens
Cooler Screens was founded on the core idea that consumers deserve a far better experience than what is available today in bricks-and-mortar retail. We call this concept “CX” and it guides all that we do. We have begun the CX journey by bringing what consumers love about shopping on-line to the frozen and refrigerated food aisle.
Cooler Screens is re-imagining the business of brick-and-mortar retail for retailers and brands. We are transforming retail cooler surfaces into IoT enabled screens that deliver new marketing opportunities and smart merchandising for the ultimate shopper experience. Cooler Screens is building the world’s first and largest in-store digital media and edge computing platform at the retail point-of-sale.
Cooler Screens is powered by proprietary innovation and a global network of industry-leading partners. Global technology, CPG, and retail leaders have partnered with Cooler Screens to be part of this important and rapidly growing industry initiative. We are backed and led by some of the most prominent Silicon Valley and Chicago leaders, advisers, and investors.
As the Senior Linux Systems Administrator, you will be responsible for designing, installing, and monitoring our Linux open-source IoT edge platform including troubleshooting and resolving OS and hardware related issues. You will intimately understand how the interoperability of Linux OS works with our hardware and automate standardized steps, write and maintain scripts, such as python and shell, that automate tech operations, and assist in tweaking the performance of the IoT edge and media system. To be successful in this role, you must be a creative problem solver and take initiative on researching issues that do not have a recognized solution and prepare a resolution process for them.
As we transform the retail customer experience with our digital media platform, we invite you to join Cooler Screens in enabling the journey.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, implement, and evaluate current and future infrastructure initiatives for the highest level of efficiency and performance
- General Administration of Unix/Linux - Installation, Users Creation, Group Creation, Permissions, Creations of Folders, Mail/SMTP, Web (Apache, Tomcat), FTP, DNS, Proxy, Samba, Firewall (NAT, IP Tables, Packet Filter, IP Filter), LDAP, NFS, NIS, NFS/CIFS/FCP
- Perform problem diagnosis, troubleshooting and resolution
- Perform new hardware and Linux OS installations, patching and upgrades
- Maintain operating systems and associated infrastructure software
- Design and document SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) for system administration activities
- Deliver resilient and robust designs - lead and participate in technical discussions across engineering and product teams
What You Need to Succeed:
- BS in Computer Science or Engineering or information systems or related field (or equivalent experience) required
- 7+ years Linux systems administration experience specifically in managing or supporting Linux in production environments
- Scripting skills: Highly skilled in scripting languages (e.g. shell/bash, perl)
- Cloud Management/Virtualization (Azure) experience a plus
- Ability to develop a complete disaster recovery and system backup plan with the responsibility of producing and maintaining all system documentation
- Must be able to participate in a 7/24/365 on-call rotation
- Must be able to work evenings and/or weekends and/or during change windows outside of normal business hours
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision, is self-motivated and able to define, plan and implement long-term goals, tasks and projects
- Ability to technically lead a project through the lifecycle and consult with the customer on business requirements
- Excellent problem solving, multitasking, troubleshooting skills and attention to details are required to work in this challenging and dynamic environment
- Very strong interpersonal, customer service, result oriented and team building skills are essential
- Strong Experience in Linux kernel, secure boot, device tree, Linux device driver and HAL layers.
- Experience with OS Patching, Field Updates and SELinux security hardening
- Must have the inclination and the capability to learn new technologies and provide support for them
For the right candidate, we have a competitive compensation and ownership package with an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), life insurance, paid time off, and many other perks. Come join our fast-growing team at our headquarters in the heart of Chicago.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, native origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.