Senior Software Engineer - DevOps
Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
Check us out: GitHub | Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | The Muse | Glassdoor
Our focus is teaming with smart engineers who are passionate about their craft and excited to build software for our unique solutions in the space.
At Braintree, developers have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Although most of our software is written in Ruby, we believe in using the best tool for the job. For example, we’ve written data platforms in Clojure, payment gateways in Java, and contextual commerce in Python. Here’s more:
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department – developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
Types of projects we work on:
Hosted Fields — small, transparent iFrames that replace sensitive credit card inputs in your checkout flow
Drop-In UI — ready-made payment UI for accepting cards and digital currency
Fraud Tools — realtime scoring and authentication to protect merchants from fraudulent payments and chargebacks
Payments — reliably grow and scale our payments systems, currently handling millions of payments every day across a variety of payment types
Wallet Payments — building all wallet integrations such as Pay with Venmo, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Visa Checkout, Masterpass, Amex Express Checkout
Cards Expansion — expanding our processing power through adding new card types and expanding our processing footprint to new geographical regions
Transaction Optimization — building the future of Braintree where we offer merchants a data-driven card payment model which will make transactions adaptable to the behind-the-scenes processors.
What we look for in you:
Bring full understanding of architecture, design, and implementation details of the domain/platform/service, with a solid track record of hands-on contributions to backend, frontend, or full-stack components within their domain. The primary responsibility of this role is identifying and executing a roadmap to instill the DevOps culture within the team.
Own key applications or services with Braintree ecosystem that will a reference implementation of cloud-native architecture and design
Rethink current roles and procedures with development, deployment, and operations, reorient practices to be faster with, continuous delivery
Focus the team on agility, quality, infrastructure, operations, and security
Guide the team members to be mindful of the quality, security, and operational robustness of the code
Bring an automation mindset. Establish programs to identify, implement, and rollout tooling to help developers improve the velocity of development
Develop hands-free automated solutions to solve problems and help the business operate efficiently
Partner with product management and engineering colleagues on architecture and design
Represent developers in the infrastructure/platform/operations team. Lead a joint effort in developing a common set of tools.
Establish a learning culture within the team. Drive adoption of DevOps style engineering. Be proactive in mentoring, collaboration, and be a key owner of the tools that will run the domain efficiently
- 5+ years experience building software or web applications with object oriented or functional programming languages. Doesn’t matter what language, just a focus on writing clean, well designed and scalable code
- Ability and desire to work in our collaborative environment: open team room, pair programming and fluid interactions with all products and operations teams
- Interest in TDD and specific experiences using a test heavy approach to solve problems and create solutions
- Focusing on building solutions utilizing an agile approach: close relationships with Product Managers, communicating and digesting real time feedback, and working smart to build story cards on daily basis
Demonstrable background as a full-stack developer preferably in development of cloud native applications on AWS, GCP, or Azure
Virtualization technologies (VMWare, Xen, etc)
Hands-on experience with containerization of applications
Public cloud, private cloud, hybrid cloud infrastructure and hands-on experience in IaaS and PaaS based resources.
Experience with Docker/Kubernetes
Configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet, or Ansible
Experience configuring and using monitoring/alerting tools to achieve service health and operational efficiency
Experience in software release lifecycle with modern distributed version control (e.g. git)
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Participation in the technology community: we help cover travel and attendance costs for conferences, and we offer opportunities and tools for speaking.
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply. You can also check out our FAQ!