Senior Software Engineer, Front-End
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented engineer to join our Chicago team. As part of the Software Engineering Team, you will participate in the full software development life-cycle. We expect that all engineers can work full stack to some degree, but most engineers have a primary competency. Our front-end focused engineers spend most of their time on refining requirements with the UX team and building out intuitive user interfaces in collaboration with the team.
You will do well in this role if you love making practical changes and seeing your products in use. Someone who is “service-minded” will fit in well on our team, meaning you naturally like to find pain points and figure out how to solve them. In general, you enjoy helping people and believe that a great product comes from great team collaboration. You take delight in debugging unfamiliar problems and push yourself to be growing as an engineer. You should find reward in persevering to solve customer pain points.
This role will be on our Depth Team, which primarily focuses on taking user provided data and writing a comprehensive story about it. We do this by determining what questions Lexio can answer based on the data, determining what Lexio should write and how the story should be structured with our NLG platform, and finally, how we want to present that story to our users in an interactive and intuitive way.
As a Senior Front End Engineer on the Depth Team you will be focused on how we present our story and the overall user experience for Lexio. You will have direct ownership over a large part of our front end code base and will be working hand in hand with our design and product teams to determine how our users navigate through and interact with Lexio. This role will have a solid mix of greenfield projects and platform improvements, along with plenty of opportunities to prototype and build lasting features and enhancements. This role will also allow for excellent mentorship opportunities with other engineers within the organization.
- 3-7 years of professional software development experience
- Demonstrated ability to write clean, helpfully-commented and readable code
- A drive to learn constantly with an analytical and problem-solving mindset
- Strong knowledge of how web browsers interact with backend services
- Experience writing end-to-end Selenium tests or other UI integration tests
- A desire to grow as both a back-end and front-end engineer
- Knowledge of REST: Ideal candidates will have experience building REST services as well as coding clients to them
- Experience with developing with scripting languages, such as Python
- Experience with Unix / Linux systems (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, etc.)
- Familiarity with cloud computing, particularly AWS
- Experience with continuous integration systems (Jenkins, CircleCI, etc)
About Narrative Science:
Narrative Science creates software that writes stories from enterprise data to drive understanding and results. Powered by artificial intelligence, our technology automatically turns data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge. Narrative Science works with customers including Deloitte, MasterCard, USAA, and members of the U.S. intelligence community, empowering them to understand and act on key business metrics, make better decisions, and focus talent on higher-value tasks -- all through the power of data storytelling.